Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Chamfered chambers  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Chamfered chambers
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:19:09 PM »
As far as I know, this '51 Navy is the only gun I own with factory-chamfered cylinder chambers. I know a lot of guys do this themselves.
You can see by the (rather crappy) photo the extent of the chamfer. It loads a .375 RB rather tightly, but shaves little or no ring. I think I might try chamfering some of my others as well.

Close-up of the factor chamfering on my EXCAM 1851 Navy
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Chamfered chambers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »
I haven't chamfered any of mine yet, but am going to try it. You will get just as tight a fit with the ball, and a tiny smidgen more retained weight, IMHO.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
I haven't chamfered any of mine yet, but am going to try it. You will get just as tight a fit with the ball, and a tiny smidgen more retained weight, IMHO.

Hi mazo, I chamfer all my BP cap and ball cylinders. I put a countersink in a small chuck and hand turn the chuck three times to remove just a few thousands of an inch. No power tool is used. The chamfer produces a smaller lead shave ring, but also increases the force to swage the ball in the chamber compared to simply shearing the ball. Since I usually load cylinders off the revolvers using the Tower of Power loading tool, the added force isn't an issue. The more ball lead edge pushed in a cylinder chamber, the more the force holding the ball from moving on recoil. I recommend chamfering.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »
Richard, that is on my to-do list, at least to try on one to see how it goes.