Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Father's Day Sale  (Read 3596 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Father's Day Sale
« on: June 14, 2022, 03:14:23 AM »
Hi, just a note that Old South Firearms is having a Father's Day sale. Link to Old South Firearms:
https://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/

Even though I own a number of BP revolvers, I never owned a replica Colt 1861, The Father's Day sale helped me rectify that omission.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Father's Day Sale
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 06:21:26 AM »
Congrats on the '61. It's nice to be able to take advantage of a sale. Please share some photos when you get it.

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 02:17:12 PM »
 :cowboypistol:  Good for you Richard

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 02:35:16 PM »
I see they have both the brass and the steel BS/TG mods.  Which did you order?  Eight inch so both are Pietta.  I've had a '61 Pietta since '97 and it's been a real pal.  Shot it just last week and it's still a heap a fun.  Congrats ssb, good score. Them are perdy and balance out real well.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 04:40:08 AM »
Good on ya Richard, and thanks for sharing the info!
Now, put down the drone controller, and get out and make smoke!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 04:22:49 PM »
Congrats and thanks for the info on the sale.
My wife got me a 61 replica. It’s by far my favorite.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 03:56:14 AM »
Hi, the Pietta 1861 Navy arrived yesterday. IMO it's perfect in every respect, fit, finish, and function. The cylinder/barrel gap is 0.004". Pietta CNC machining is now so good that there isn't an imperfection or metal gap anywhere. As with all new Pietta's, the wedge is hammered in very hard, I needed a brass wedge drift to get the wedge to move. The loading lever was also required to separate the barrel from the arbor. The action is as tight as a drum, very good. This revolver will be disassembled, de-greased, internals polished, anti-seize on nipple threads, and have the mainspring replaced with a Wolff 32280 reduced power spring. The two photos are shot in different light trying to pick up the beautiful deep blue and nice case coloring.

A few years ago, one could pick up a revolver like this at a Cabelas sale for ~$150. Not any more. However, considering the current price of the Pietta 1861 Navy, the Old South Firearms Sale of $299 wasn't a bad deal at all.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 05:42:00 AM »
That’s a keeper Richard! It’s good to hear that you are pleased with it. Happy Fathers Day👍

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 05:46:17 AM »
Congrats and thanks for the info on the sale.
My wife got me a 61 replica. It’s by far my favorite.
AR!! Hey man. Glad to hear of your good fortune as well. Show us a picture when you have time. Sounds like you have a wife with good taste.  I have an 1861 as well and for some reason I gravitate towards it even in thought. They are perfect in every way.👍

Offline camo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 05:57:49 AM »
very nice enjoy the tickering with it before you take her to the range, It's a beauty alright!
What did you think, before the 11:00 news told you what to think?

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 07:22:27 AM »
Congratulations, Richard. That's the makings of a good Father's Day. The fit and finish on these things has certainly improved over the years.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 02:38:24 PM »
SSB, you mentioned getting a Wolff 32280 reduced tension main spring.  Do you install those as a matter of course on a new revolver or does your new '61 have an overly stiff hammer draw?

That's a very handsome new shooter.  Congrats.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2022, 08:42:37 AM »
SSB, you mentioned getting a Wolff 32280 reduced tension main spring.  Do you install those as a matter of course on a new revolver or does your new '61 have an overly stiff hammer draw?

That's a very handsome new shooter.  Congrats.

Hi G Dog, I install the Wolff 32280 on all my 1858 Remington and Colt revolvers. I buy them by the dozen. The Wolff spring turns any old functioning BP revolver into a revolver where you would think a master gunsmith did an action job on it. It lightens the hammer and trigger pull. There is one modification that is required when using the Wolff spring on Colt revolvers. The spring hole is slightly smaller than the hammer spring screw. A light touch with a dremel tool opens up the hole.

IMO try it, I think you will like it.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 09:40:40 AM »
Hi, just a short followup on getting the revolver ready for shooting. The revolver was disassembled, cleaned, and all the moving parts that rub against each other polished. The Wolff spring was installed. The revolver was then reassembled and checked over for any issue. The only remaining issue was the overly tight barrel on the arbor. It required using the loading lever and tapping on the lever to remove the barrel. I shoot extra cylinders and want a barrel to be easily removed to swap out cylinders. A very light sanding of the arbor end (the part that enters the barrel) did the trick. The barrel now comes off easily by just pulling it away from the frame. A 38 Special conversion cylinder was installed in the revolver. The timing with that cylinder is a perfect as are the C&B cylinders. The conversion cylinder/barrel gap is 0.003" which in my opinion is good for smokeless powder. I guess the next thing to do is shoot the revolver. I have a dozen extra 1851 cylinders loaded and ready to shoot (1851 and 1861 cylinders are the same size).

You haven't heard of me doing much shooting since severely breaking my wrist last November. I have been concerned about the repetitive recoil shooting. The 1861 Colt is heavier than an 1860 and being 0.36 caliber, recoil should be light. I will see.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
Sounds like you're ready to go. It'll be good to hear how it works.

Which conv cylinder is in it?