Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: John Ringgold aka Johnny Ringo's famous Colt SAA Revolver S/N 222  (Read 9465 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: John Ringgold aka Johnny Ringo's famous Colt SAA Revolver S/N 222
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2022, 11:56:41 PM »
I've hread that one too Hawg. There is no proven evidence as to who carried what......so anything is a possibility. "Buckskin" Frank Leslie had a motive for sure.

If Ringo didn't commit suicide Leslie would be my pick for doing the deed.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2022, 07:04:48 AM »
Of all the different possibilities, it sounds more likely that Leslie was the one who took Ringo down. The suicide scenario seems staged so no one would be looking for the real shooter.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2022, 07:14:11 AM »
Of all the different possibilities, it sounds more likely that Leslie was the one who took Ringo down. The suicide scenario seems staged so no one would be looking for the real shooter.

Well if you take into account witnesses statements as to Ringo's state of mind in the days prior and things he himself said. Suicide seems more plausible.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2022, 07:22:30 AM »
That's the general consensus Hawg. Ringo was not much of a stand up guy, I often wonder if would have had to balls to kill himself.... but everything points that way.....
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2022, 08:24:23 AM »
That's the general consensus Hawg. Ringo was not much of a stand up guy, I often wonder if would have had to balls to kill himself.... but everything points that way.....

We'll never know. All we can do is speculate. Suicide, Wyatt or Leslie. Those seem to be the most likely choices. I think Wyatt is a little farfetched but still possible. Altho I think Wyatt would have given him both barrels of a shotgun to the chest. Leslie getting close enough to make an upward side of the head shot seems about as unlikely and why would he make a shot like that? That would mean a premeditated plan to stage a suicide and even if he had the ability to pull it off I doubt his ability to concoct a plan like that. He seems to be more of a shot to the chest spur of the moment type guy. He was looking for Ringo. Maybe he did plan to kill him but I doubt that would have been the way he would have done it.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2022, 11:24:17 AM »
I agree with you Hawg. That area of the Chiricahuas was more than just a little remote.....however there were some fairly commonly used trails used by wood haulers. If Leslie did it.....he would have just shot him and let the animals have the body or stashed it in a less obvious place. Staging something to look like a suicide is more of a 20th century thought process.

Ringo was dead drunk and had another bottle in his saddle bag according to Billy Breckenridge. He'd been drinking heavily for days before leaving Tombstone. After getting into the middle of nowhere.....he removed his boots and his horse ran off with them. It was quite hot and dry and he had no water. His past was catching up to him. He was having a very bad day. The desert here can be brutal if you have no water (one of the top reasons for deaths at the Grand Canyon) and dehydration can cause one to make some very bad decisions. 
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2022, 02:01:49 PM »
What I don't understand is why he took his boots off. Somebody said they might have hurt his feet. Seem to me as a long time boot wearer the only way they would have hurt his feet is if they were too small or they were new and not broken in yet. Another unsolvable mystery I guess.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2022, 02:27:43 PM »
That makes good sense to me Hawg. Why would he take them off?

Offline camo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2022, 06:39:48 AM »
just a thought on who carried what lenght barrel and who's gun was who's wouldn't the holster tell the tale? not mentioned but it's possible you could carry a 7 1/2 in a short holster with an open end but I think the barrel would show the wear, and I just doubt anyone would carry a short barrel in a long holster, but who knows? guess we'll never know, Still fun to talk about.
What did you think, before the 11:00 news told you what to think?

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2022, 09:41:07 AM »
We get a lot of old west historians in Tombstone...including Bob Boze Bell. Here's a video (quite long but interesting) about his thoughts on Mr. Ringo's demise. I especially like what he said about Kevin Jarre's original script and how much better this movie could have been. Maybe one day someone will revive it and make a mini-series. At least that's my hope.

Sit back and enjoy!

Hope the link works.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=true+west+johnny+ringo&docid=607988887820053325&mid=9C3E712F9A2D6438650F9C3E712F9A2D6438650F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2022, 05:34:11 PM »
Great video. :-*

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2022, 05:38:18 PM »
I thought so to Mick. Thanks for posting that. Real good! Never would have found that on my own. I’m going to watch again👍👍

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2022, 09:51:04 PM »
Thanks for that video, Mick. It was quite enjoyable.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2022, 10:39:23 AM »
Just watched the video again Mick. That guy is easy to watch and listen to. Thanks again. So does Bob Boze Bell live there in Tombstone?

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2022, 12:23:20 PM »
No.....I'm not sure where he lives. He's in town quite often. From my dealings with him, he's usually a pompous ass.
-Mick