Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Master Cement  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Master Cement
« on: July 09, 2022, 01:53:36 PM »
Since I began working leather I have used Barge Cement. For many years I wouldn't use anything else. The last quart of it I bought is almost worthless, though. It doesn't get tacky like it should after a couple coats. It just goes from wet to dry. It won't bond at all. There never is a tacky stage. To get it to hold, I have to hammer the holy heck out of it, going back every couple minutes and hammering it again, numerous times, until it finally bonds. I have no idea  how it will hold over time.

Last week, in the search for decent cement, I ordered some Master Cement made by Petronio.

Yesterday it arrived and today I tried it out. I started with two coats and stuck the pieces together when it got tacky. It bonded instantly. I set it with a cobbler's hammer like I've always done. The stuff works just like Barge used to. I'm pleased and thought I'd pass the word on in case someone is having the same issue with Barge as me. I know there are other good brands of contact cement that work but I've tried a few different ones and haven't been satisfied with them. It seems to be available from numerous suppliers. I got an 8 oz can from Amazon to try. Next time I need some, I'll order a quart from one of the leather supply houses.

So I'm pleased and am done with Barge. The almost full quart I have will get tossed. I'll clean my glue pot out and refill it with Master.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Master Cement
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 12:12:06 PM »
Thanks for the tip Marshal. I'll have to order some for myself. I mostly use a rubber contact cement from 3M. It works good, but leaves rubber oozing out when you put the joint together. Master sounds like a much better option.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Master Cement
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 01:24:57 PM »
I have some of that 3M rubber cement and it has its place but I didn't like it for leather. You may find this more suitable.

It doesn't have that toluene smell that Barge does. I think it'll still get you goofy if you don't use it in an ventilated workspace, though. After I used it the other day, I promptly tried to cut the end off one of my fingers with a kitchen knife. Of course, I'm pretty uncoordinated right now with my right arm in a sling from the fractured shoulder. But that couldn't have anything to do with that.