Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Toys  (Read 11647 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Toys
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2022, 07:18:45 PM »
Yup...definitely some drawbacks to CO2. But for punching paper in the backyard it should serve its purpose well. The 2240 is highly rated, very accurate and inexpensive. Hard to beat at under $70.

This is true. I saw a Savage Enforcer break barrel rifle at my LGS awhile back I wanted real bad but I didn't have 149.00.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2022, 08:20:27 PM »
Yeah...I know the feeling. At least this one was half that.....:)
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
The 2240 showed up last week....along with most of the goodies. Quality is much better than I was expecting for a pistol that cost $70.

The TKO suppressor is much smaller that I was anticipating, but appears to be a very solid piece. I ordered a TRUGLO TG-TG93A front sight since I can't use the stock front sight. Initial testing show that everything lines up perfectly. The suppressor also came with a free trigger that looks to be a solid upgrade....and the price was right.

I'm going to do a complete teardown before using it (as usual for any new firearm), but I'm waiting on the steel breech to show up. It should be here in a few days.

I'm anxious to get it out to the backyard for some target practice....but all in good time. A longer barrel is on top of the list, as well as a barrel and bolt for .177 caliber to make this thing fit everything I need. Looking at a steel pellet trap as well....with resetting targets so I don't have to get out of my deck chair.....lazy, I know!

We don't have many squirrels here in south AZ, but one has found my bird feeder as will be dispatched into coyote food shortly.

So far I couldn't be happier with the purchase! There are so many inexpensive modifications available for this thing and plenty of info out there on what it takes to really make these things perform.

-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2022, 10:23:52 AM »
Well...cleaned, upgraded steel breech and all together and everything functions as it should. Just need to tweak the sight a little bit, but it's really close and surprisingly accurate. The TKO suppressor is very quiet, makes plinking in the back yard super easy. I couldn't be happier!! A little trigger work and this thing will be close to perfect.

The sight is just a cheapie I had laying around...it's a little bulky, but serves the purpose pretty well. I may upgrade it a little later on. It won't replace shooting BP....but it sure it a lot of fun and well worth the investment.

14" barrel and shoulder stock will be here next week, but it's just so much fun as it is.

-Mick

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2022, 12:19:43 PM »
Looks really nice, Mick! How's the accuracy at 25yd?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2022, 02:06:53 PM »
Haven't gone that far yet. Still sighting it on. At 10 yards you can easily hit the same hole. It's way more accurate than me!

Once the 14" barrel and shoulder stock are here, I'll move it out to 25 yards and let you know.
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2022, 08:58:19 PM »
We're having so much fun with this thing! It definitely needs a little trigger work, but other than that, it's really nice! I couldn't be happier with the 2240 as a target pistol.

Picked up a pellet trap for $30 (small black box to the right of the tree) and that also works great. I have it placed about 30' away. Great way to spend the evening. The wife loves it too....so it did make a great anniversary present! ,,,,thank goodness!  )l_

-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2022, 05:46:15 AM »
We're having so much fun with this thing! It definitely needs a little trigger work, but other than that, it's really nice! I couldn't be happier with the 2240 as a target pistol.

Picked up a pellet trap for $30 (small black box to the right of the tree) and that also works great. I have it placed about 30' away. Great way to spend the evening. The wife loves it too....so it did make a great anniversary present! ,,,,thank goodness!  )l_

That's great Mick!! So the trap box? Is it literally a box that you shoot into and it catches the pellet? If so, that's nice. Glad you guys are both enjoying it as well. It does appear from the photo that you do have neighbors in close proximity. The pellet gun was a nice choice. (7&

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2022, 08:04:16 AM »
Yes....neighbors are fairly close. But....the silencer makes it perfect. We'll go through 100 rounds or so in an evening. I've had no complaints but several have expressed an interest in coming over and trying it out.

Yes, the pellet trap has an angled back and bottom so it does a good job of keeping things inside. I simply pour them out when done and add them to my melting pot where they'll get cast into round balls sooner or later. It's only 7.5"×7" so it's small enough to easily store. The orange metal spinners are 1.5" so even at closer range, it's challenging.

I highly recommend this activity. It's a blast!
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2022, 09:43:47 AM »
Hi Mick, glad to see you enjoying shooting your Crosman 2240. During the summer I sometimes shoot my .22 and .17 CO2 pistols at a paper plate that I smeared a soft cheese on. At ~50' I wait for flies to land on the cheese spread and pick them off with my scoped Crosman 2240 rifle. The flies don't know what hit them. The accuracy of these CO2 pistols is amazing. Tricking out the basic 2240 was fun and worth the effort.

BTW, since my original Crosman photos were lost on this message board, I uploaded the photos again. Can we say for posterity, or at least until they are lost again? lol

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2022, 11:43:30 AM »
Thanks for reposting those pics Richard! You're the reason I ventured this direction and I'll admit, it's not only fun, but there is literally a ton of inexpensive bits and pieces to really make these things shine (as you know). For the money, it was a no-brainer to go with the 2240.

My 14" barrel will be here today, so with the stock I'll make it a carbine. I have a stainless polished sear coming. I haven't tried shortening the hammer spring yet, but it's on the short list. TKO send a free trigger with the suppressor and I'm hoping that'll help with the trigger pull.

For an inexpensive minimal distance target pistol, it would be hard to beat this thing. Thanks again for leading the way and putting up all the info on what you did.
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2022, 10:29:41 PM »
14" barrel on, new trigger in, stock on. Trigger pull is now close to perfect. Will try it all out tomorrow. Can't wait!

-Mick

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2022, 06:07:05 AM »
Thanks for posting this information I have pellet rifles and find this information very interesting Thanks again for info and photos :usa-flag-89:

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2022, 09:39:46 AM »
You're quite welcome SB!
-Mick