Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: ...better still...  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Racing

• View Profile
...better still...
« on: July 28, 2022, 07:33:32 PM »
Yeah.
Remington man. Indeed.

One of the benefits of doing what i do is that word gets around. What that in turn brings is that from time to time there´s those in the door that simply leaves you flabbergasted.

So. This elderly gent has owned this one for a looooong time, n see now it needed service. To be looked over. Nothing inherently wrong with it, just wanted it to be checked for further use

Yep. You guessed it, time to put the pot on again. Boiling old iron out is a SPLENDID way to keep it up to snuff!

Thing is that many pure collectors frown upon touching the guns, at all. IMO this is pure fallacy as the materials will deteriorate no matter if used or not why picking even the nicest of them apart to at least CHECK is ALWAYS a good idea.
Let me tell ya.. i´ve taken barrels out of rifle stocks looking "da bomb" just to realize that below the stockline rust reigns you won´t believe. Just because "don´t touch it, it´s valuable!"
Yeah. Whatever... *sighs*

Uhu. My 5 liter "revolver pot". I just use regular tap water, granted.. we get really GOOD water where i live so.. for some distilled water might be the right choice.
Just keep that in mind.

Uhu, and here we go. Boiled and carded. Due this as these guns are collector pieces these days (this one gets shot though) they are WAY better maintained than back in the day.
Due that and due the boiling and carding this gun is now ready to take on another 150yrs in this condition and as long as the owner takes care of it.. no worries.

What the progressive rifling looks like on a more or less to this day new Remington NMA?

Oh! On old rare iron.
Remind me.
I´ll put a post up on not one but TWO of the approx 700 made Allen&Wheelok Armys.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: ...better still...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 07:42:10 AM »
Another job well done, sir!
Love that you are keeping old iron running like clockwork!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 08:42:25 AM »
Ah, another beautiful job.

Do you have a good pair of before/after comparison photos to show what boiling can do?

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 11:28:14 AM »

Do you have a good pair of before/after comparison photos to show what boiling can do?

I think he did, the second set of photos below the pot. I'm not quite clear on what he means by carding, is that like re-bluing?
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
Carding is rubbing the surface with a light abrasive such as steel wool, or a rough denim material.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »

I think he did, the second set of photos below the pot. I'm not quite clear on what he means by carding, is that like re-bluing?
Yeah, I somehow missed that. Thanks.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 03:33:16 PM »
Carding is rubbing the surface with a light abrasive such as steel wool, or a rough denim material.

Thanks Capt' I guess I've done a lot of carding on my revolvers without realizing what it was called. I always thought carding had something to do with bluing a gun.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 06:09:51 AM »

Thanks Capt' I guess I've done a lot of carding on my revolvers without realizing what it was called. I always thought carding had something to do with bluing a gun.

I thought it was knitting a cardigan

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 06:30:53 AM »
[/

I thought it was knitting a cardigan

Too funny 😂
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 03:42:19 PM by Zulch »

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 10:30:40 AM »
Great to see you back Racing! I've missed your posts!!! Hope to see a lot more!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick