Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Powder galore  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Powder galore
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 10:50:24 AM »
Lest we forget...
The "ace up the sleeve" of Pyrodex is that it is non-progressive fouling.
Translation: Once you've initially fouled the barrel (and cylinder, and arbor or cylinder pin) it does not get progressively worse, causing you to stop and swab the bore and remove hard fouling before you can no longer shove a PRB down the bore on rifles. I have personally put over 50 rounds through my Trade Rifle using RS and never even had to run so much as a cleaning patch down the bore.

This is true. With my Enfield the ramrod will push a minie down the bore to within 3 inches or so of the powder charge by its own weight. Whether its the first shot or the 50th.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2022, 06:41:02 AM »
I can't say the same thing about triple 7. I have shot a lot of it and it seems to build-up after every shot in my Hawken  rifle.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2022, 10:58:42 AM »
I've never used T7. Back when we had to use bp for primitive weapons hunting I saw it and some others but they were all almost twice the price of Pyrodex. Pyrodex works so I saw no reason to spend more money on something else. I can still occasionally find Pyro locally but not T7 or anything else.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2022, 06:53:02 PM »
I've never used T7. Back when we had to use bp for primitive weapons hunting I saw it and some others but they were all almost twice the price of Pyrodex. Pyrodex works so I saw no reason to spend more money on something else. I can still occasionally find Pyro locally but not T7 or anything else.

T7 is approaching smokeless price levels. I can still get Pyro for around $25.00 a pound (or less) and it's readily available.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 10:32:37 PM »
I think the man the ex found is into the Black as well, one more reason we're literally alike. I couldn't find any of the Schuetzen I had bought in '14 when I moved out. there were 4+ #'s of the 5 I bought left. (I did manage to find my 5-600 caps, and I'll shoot Pyrodex which I have and can acquire)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2022, 10:44:55 AM »
I think the man the ex found is into the Black as well, one more reason we're literally alike. I couldn't find any of the Schuetzen I had bought in '14 when I moved out. there were 4+ #'s of the 5 I bought left. (I did manage to find my 5-600 caps, and I'll shoot Pyrodex which I have and can acquire)

Keep watching Graf's and Powder Valley. It comes in stock every couple of months but then quickly gets snatched up by the Watchers. Be one of them.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"