Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Sunday Scabbard  (Read 3638 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
New Sunday Scabbard
« on: September 13, 2022, 07:21:56 AM »
Not a black powder holster per se, but black powder cartridges were in revolvers that fit these holsters back when they were common, so it might be appropriate for this sight.

Here is a modern iteration of the Texas Ranger Sunday Scabbard. It was built as a concealment holster as the Rangers were ordered to loose their gunbelts, guns and ammunition when they were becoming more frequent denizens of the cities.  The hardware scared the genteel population!  Captain Hughes came up with a modification of the basic Mexican loop design and approached several saddlers with his ideas. The Kluge brothers were some of the more prolific makers of the design but there were as many as 24 or 30 other saddleries that built it.

Here is mine, built for a target sighted N frame.

Kevin

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Sunday Scabbard
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 07:33:52 AM »
Wow!! That is gorgeous Strawhat  :usa-flag-89: fine work there. Thanks for the background info on it too. 

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 07:47:26 AM »
Looks good. I've liked that design since I learned about it. Does it have the extra leather along the back like a Brill?

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 05:55:49 PM »
Looks good. I've liked that design since I learned about it. Does it have the extra leather along the back like a Brill?

If you are asking about the welt, yes, the maker spliced in a couple of tapered leathers to creat a tight fitting welt.

Brill bought out the Kluge brothers and kept them employed making holsters and saddles.

Kevin

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 06:15:07 PM »
That's a nice looking holster. You done good. :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 06:15:55 PM »
Strawhat. I love the revolver. I want it . L@J

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 09:18:05 PM »
If you are asking about the welt, yes, the maker spliced in a couple of tapered leathers to creat a tight fitting welt.

Brill bought out the Kluge brothers and kept them employed making holsters and saddles.

Kevin

Kevin
Thanks, I wondered about that. I wasn't aware that Brill bought out Kluge. The design is interesting. It keeps the grips close to your side.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 01:09:47 PM »
Love that style of holster. Some beautiful leather work on both counts! I'd love to see a closer look at the construction.....especially the welt. Is it a gusset? How well do they do at securing the pistol? With no retaining strap, it looks like it might be a little loose....
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »
Love that style of holster. Some beautiful leather work on both counts! I'd love to see a closer look at the construction.....especially the welt. Is it a gusset? How well do they do at securing the pistol? With no retaining strap, it looks like it might be a little loose....

I will try for better photos soon.  Let me know what you want.

“…How we’ll do they do at securing the pistol?…”.

Properly constructed the welt pushes against the frame and holds the handgun firmly yet releases with a small tug upward. I can put an adjustable sighted N frame in this holster, invert it and my arm will tire before the revolver  drops. However, put a fixed sighted N frame in and try it and the revolver might hold for 1-2 seconds. Belted on, the fixed sighted gun is retained well but not as well as the target sighted version. 

The ThreePersons holster has the same construction if properly done.

I have a few N frames but my primary edc is a Model 22-4. The revolver shown in the first post is my modified Model 28-2.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 05:58:06 PM »
So is it just a very wide welt? The 2nd one posted looks like a sewn in gusset. I was just curious..... I can do more research on my end too......but pics would be appreciated.
-Mick

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 07:31:03 PM »
So is it just a very wide welt? The 2nd one posted looks like a sewn in gusset. I was just curious..... I can do more research on my end too......but pics would be appreciated.

No, not a wide welt.  The welt on a properly built Sunday Scabbard is comprised of several tapered strips of leather. In this image (not my holster) you can see how is lessens in thickness.

The holster itself is built from two layers of thin leather, sewn together, not glued. There is a half lining installed to protect the clothing of the wearer.  The placement of the cuff determines the width of the belt and the cant of the holster. The toe of the holster is sewn to the skirt of the holster.  All in all, very well thought out and when properly executed provides an excellent concealment holster.

Kevin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:46:55 PM by StrawHat »

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 08:56:06 PM »
Makes sense. Thanks for the in depth description. Very interesting construction. I think I need one for my 686. 
-Mick

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 03:49:58 PM »

Here are some more images.

On the left is the Sunday Scabbard I commissioned for my Model 22-4.  On the right is an original Sessums Sunday Scabbard for a 1911.  Even though my leather worker was true to the idea of the Sunday Scabbard, the leather he used was much heavier than used in the originals.  You should see it in the images.

Kevin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:11:23 PM by StrawHat »

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 05:29:16 PM »
More images.

Here is one with the respective sidearms in place, almost. The leathersmith did not have a S&W Model 22-4, (4”, N frame, fixed sights) so he used a Model 625 as his model. The S&W Model 625 is an adjustable sighted N frame and that makes a difference.

The welt stack is cut so as to lock the handgun in place by pressing the top strap of the frame into the folded portion of the holster.  There is sufficient difference between the target model (adjustable sights) and belt model (fixed sights) that the interface is lost. 

This image is my commissioned holster with a 4”, S&W Model 25-2 in place. I held it like this for 5 minutes before taking the image.  My arm got tired of holding it.

Here is an image of the antique Sessums holster with a Colt Civilian Model 1911, also after 5 minutes.

Both held in place and probably would until my hand gave out.

The S&W Model 22-4 dropped from the holster after 2-3 seconds!  However, when the holster is on my belt, the revolver stays in place.

Kevin

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:44:23 PM by StrawHat »

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 05:33:14 PM »
The image that shows the back of the holster shows the stitch pattern. This is unique to the individual maker. It also shows the half lining.  On the Sessums it was undue d.  On the modern holster, the maker chose to dye it black.  Here are images of how the half lining goes into the well of the holster. First the old and then the new.

If you would like other images, please ask, I will try to accommodate your request.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com