Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: FINALLY!!!  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
FINALLY!!!
« on: January 02, 2023, 04:12:35 PM »
I finally got in some serious shooting today. My R/M is a fantastic shooter. I was using FMJ flat points and man it was dead on the money. I think most of you know I don't shoot much paper but I was nailing Coke cans from 25 yards with it. I shot some of the Richmond Labs conicals in my 51 navy. They were also very accurate. A little harder to load than round balls and I couldn't find my wads so I used some CVA patch grease that's around 40 years old. It surprised me by not being nearly as messy as Crisco. I never tried it as an over ball lube. I bought it for a patch lube for my Hawken and didn't like it.

Now for what I don't want to admit. I witnessed a cap jam on it. I have never had a jam with it. My wife was shooting it and said she couldn't cock it. I looked at it and the hammer was frozen solid. I had to take the barrel and cylinder off to clear it. I was shocked to say the least. SO, I guess it's the way I shoot that avoids jams. The nipples are factory and the caps were CCI #10. I was using 25 grains +/- Swiss 2F.  The measure I was using is my rifle measure and it only has 10 grain increments so I just put it close to the middle between 20 and 30. The bullets barely cleared the forcing cone. They actually drug a little at first. I turned the cylinder a few times until it turned freely. One day I'll have to make a target stand and put them on paper. I did shoot one of the Richmond Labs into the ground at about 10 yards so I could dig it up and see what they look like fired but I couldn't find it. It went a lot deeper than I expected. All in all it was a very good day. I got to shoot some guns I haven't fired in years and smell some powder smoke.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: FINALLY!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 04:58:44 PM »
Awesome Hawg!!! Yeehaw!! I’m so glad you and the Mrs, got to shoot. I guess the cows cooperated👍👍 :usa-flag-89: That makes my day!!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 05:09:19 PM »
No, the cows didn't cooperate. We shot in the hayfield across the road. My wife tends to want to shoot everything she has and most of her stuff is semi auto. Since I reload I want the fired brass and the grass is too high to find the brass so we're limited to revolvers and .22's. I did take my 30-30 and the only rifle she's ever fired is her AR. I let her shoot it and after the first shot she had a big ol grin on her face.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 05:20:50 PM »
It must be real nice to have a wife who enjoys shooting. That is just fantastic! You say she enjoyed shooting the 30/30 huh? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. She sounds like a lot of fun. Happy for you both. Maybe I can get mine interested. If you have any suggestions please let me know Hawg.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 06:11:18 PM »
You say she enjoyed shooting the 30/30 huh? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. She sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah she really did. I wish I'd taken my phone and got a pic of her face after she shot it. I had intended to take it and get a pic of her shooting the 51 but I forgot. It did put a little thumping on her but not enough to bother her. I don't think she can handle the 30-06 tho.  To me the 30-30 barely has enough recoil to notice.  She is a lot of fun. She said the only thing about the 51 was it took too long to load. She liked the smoke and she's nose blind so the smell didn't bother her.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 09:34:26 PM »
Outstanding, Hawg! Congratulations to you both. Sounds like the second day in 2023 was good to you. :usa-flag-89:

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 05:11:19 AM »
This is a great start to 2023 for you Hawg.    Let me know if you want any more of the Richmond labs bullets.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 05:20:30 AM »
This is a great start to 2023 for you Hawg.    Let me know if you want any more of the Richmond labs bullets.

Yes it is. I really like those bullets. I was surprised at how well they performed. I still have most of them. I haven't been shooting much just a few shots here and there, mostly with modern stuff. I hope to rectify that. I have plenty of powder now. What do you want for them?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 05:35:14 AM »
Hawg, "Nailing coke cans at 25 yards". were you shooting from a tabletop or standing? 

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 09:21:41 AM »
This is the best post I've seen in a long time!

I'm so glad you and Mrs. Hawg got to get out and shoot. Sounds like you had a fantastic time. I can tell just by your writing, that you have a smile on your face!

What a fantastic way to bring in the new year. I hope it continues for you Hawg!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 09:24:21 AM »
Hawg, "Nailing coke cans at 25 yards". were you shooting from a tabletop or standing?

Standing, one hand unsupported.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 10:42:22 AM »
That is fantastic Hawg. Unsupported!! Woohoo! That R/M 1851 sounds like a sweet revolver. (7&  A very Inspirational post to me. Thank you Hawg.  :cowboypistol:

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 11:53:37 AM »
Woooo Hoooooo!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 11:58:57 AM »

[/quote]Yes it is. I really like those bullets. I was surprised at how well they performed. I still have most of them. I haven't been shooting much just a few shots here and there, mostly with modern stuff. I hope to rectify that. I have plenty of powder now. What do you want for them?
[/quote]

I have about 75 cast up right now.   I'll send them to you if you pay the freight.   

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 12:37:58 PM »
Hi Mike & maybe Hawg
would you please post a picture of this awesome boolit for an off side guy like me ?