Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Powder horns for Christmas  (Read 1985 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Powder horns for Christmas
« on: January 05, 2023, 09:05:59 AM »
Ta been a while since I’ve been here! I got a couple of horns to be used in making powder horns.  So thing to support my muzzleloaders  I don’t know much about cow horns.  One is flexible the other is very hard. I had to resort to a side grinder with a sanding disk.  These were aChristmas gift from my brother. He inquired about what I wanted for Christmas.  Well I told him a powder horn would do. He got me these horns he had laying around. They are not powder horns yet, but will be
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 10:07:24 AM by DragoonRick »

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Powder horns for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 09:55:02 AM »
That sounds like a fun project Rick. Like to see them when you get them where and how you want them.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 10:25:59 AM by Zulch »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 10:14:52 AM »
Watching with interest! The only horn I have, I bought, so no tips or tricks in my bag as to how to make them...sorry!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 11:07:29 AM »
I did make a powder horn 45 years ago with a walnut cap. Polished with 2000 grit Emory paper and true oil finish. It still shines.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 11:19:52 AM by DragoonRick »

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 12:01:39 PM »
That looks like some mighty fine work there Rick! :cowboypistol:

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 02:16:25 PM »
It’s carried powder lots of years.  I’ve got four Hawken rifles, two flintlocks and six cap and ball revolvers.  I want to make three possible bags and three powder horns so I want have to switch gear and supplies.   Just grab a bag and go.

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 02:54:23 PM »
Sounds like you are trying to be efficient Rick? I could use some lessons in that area.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 09:06:02 AM »
I will post some photos and descriptions of my progress.  I’m extra amateur in this area., but it seems “simple”.
 YouTube has some really professionals in the powder horn business showing their work. 
And powder horns can be had on eBay or other sources at modest prices, but I like making my own stuff.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 09:48:59 AM »
The cheap powder horns aren't airtight for the most part. You'll have to remove the plug(if you can)and seal it off. I did get a cheap horn from Crazy Crow that was airtight but I wouldn't count on all of them being airtight.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 05:48:40 AM »
I will be watching as this progresses if you will post ur results.
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 08:38:18 AM »
I was gifted a pretty grey-ish colored one, and I can't get either end to open, super frustrating.
Any tips?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 10:17:35 AM »
I was gifted a pretty grey-ish colored one, and I can't get either end to open, super frustrating.
Any tips?

Pics? The big end isn't supposed to open. Sometimes they have a threaded wood or brass finial but not usually.  If the stopper is wood You can probably wrap a rag around it and twist it loose with a pair of pliers. Stoppers are normally tapered so it shouldn't take much.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 12:32:26 PM »
I’ve been working on the “gray” horn since Christmas. It is very hard and did not yeld to a file.  I basically scraped it down to a size and weight. The next problem was finding hardwood for the cap. So I went to a Rocklers store. I found a piece of scrap wood that looked like oak or mahogany.. it was very hard . Carving tools took days to make fit.  Epoxy works well to attach the cap and mend a small hole that resulted from to much carving.
    Attaching the strap would seem easy. But the traditional staple does not appeal to me
I took the half os a small henge to make a loop connection . That’s where I am at the moment.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 12:43:11 PM »
As to wood you might us?  I found a bundle of fire wood at Walmart that must have been from an old barn or house. After planning off the surface on a couple of pieces it showed beautiful oak that can be used for various projects. I’ll use it for the next horn.

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 01:10:26 PM »
looks like you've had your work cut out for you! Nice Rick. I'm Interested in seeing how the hinge system will work out?  :cowboypistol: