Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: .44 Spl S&W Not Seating Correctly  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: .44 Spl S&W Not Seating Correctly
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2023, 10:42:33 AM »
If you do any reloading for your 44 Spl, one of these cartridge gauges is a good thing to have to check your loaded cartridges to see if they meet chamber specs. If the loaded cartridge doesn't go in, something isn't to specs. It won't tell you what but it will let you know if it isn't right so you can check further.
If the cartridges go into this gauge but won't go into your cylinder, there might be something amiss with the chambering. You'll still need that caliper to find out what, though.

Marshal, very good point here. It is a used 2010 gun. i know nothing about it or it's previous owner/s. It is possible that they changed the cylinder?? Are the cylinders stamped to identify matching numbers with the rest of the gun? I don't have it with me at the moment. Am i understanding you correctly or are you saying that something could be wrong with the cylinder?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2023, 11:04:07 AM »
It could be the chamber throats but most likely it's the ammo. I'd try another brand and see if they do the same thing. If they do it's likely the throats. I'm betting another brand will be fine.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2023, 11:16:09 AM »
It could be the chamber throats but most likely it's the ammo. I'd try another brand and see if they do the same thing. If they do it's likely the throats. I'm betting another brand will be fine.
Hey Hawg thanks. Help me here. I am not as knowledgeable as everyone here on CC. I was just assuming that a .44 spl S&W would have the same case length and diameter? Maybe they do. So if they are is it the bullet itself that is impeding a full seating? I do need to measure, I am not circumventing that step I just am trying to further understand. As Mike116 said the COAL should be 1.615, and  case should be 1.16. Let's just look at the case length for example. Shouldn't any .44spl S&W have the same case length? I appreciate your thoughts.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2023, 11:32:44 AM »
The case length, width etc. is the same for all .44 specials or should be. I think the problem is bullet depth. If the bullets were seated by as much more as the brass sticks out just by dropping them in there wouldn't be any problem but an adjustment to the powder charge might be required so you can't just seat them deeper without knowing what you have.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2023, 11:51:11 AM »
The case length, width etc. is the same for all .44 specials or should be. I think the problem is bullet depth. If the bullets were seated by as much more as the brass sticks out just by dropping them in there wouldn't be any problem but an adjustment to the powder charge might be required so you can't just seat them deeper without knowing what you have.

Thank you Hawg, In this picture is this part of the jacket? I wonder. To me it looks as if the jacket could be slightly puffed out more than the cartridge? I don't know.  :icon_scratch:

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2023, 12:02:35 PM »
Yes the copper color is the jacket. It's wider than the crimp but it doesn't appear to be wider than the case. If the bullet was seated at the top of the cannelure(the ridged part)they would probably load ok.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2023, 12:15:04 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhh. Okay, I understand Hawg. Thank you.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2023, 12:40:23 PM »
There is most definitely a "ring around the collar" on the copper jacket, Tim. Back to my original assumption about the restrictor.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2023, 05:07:26 AM »
Surely a sizing issue of the ammo.  I would be contacting the manufacturer of the ammo for sure
AG. hey. Thanks for the comment. I had considered that but have yet to call. Very perplexing to me. Thanks again.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2023, 05:14:07 AM »
As tempted as you may be, don't fire those rounds!! If it is a short chamber, it means the crimp has no room to open which means  higher  than normal pressure which can lead to ugly things. Do you have any used or unloaded cases?
  You said your snap caps fit so I bet the bullets are on the large side.  Will the bullet fit in the chamber mouth ( front of the cyl)?

Mike

Mike. Hey man. I tried to insert the cartridge at the front of the cylinder but no go. I tried the same with the snap caps and they will not go in at the front either. Your thoughts? thank you

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2023, 06:38:12 AM »
Zulch,  the exercise was to see if the diam. of the bullet ( not the case) could be inserted.  If they wont, the chambers could be out of spec or the bullets.   :old_man:

Mike

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2023, 09:43:18 AM »
As I told Tim earlier, I believe the chambers have a step down to prevent loading .44 mag ammo in this gun, generally only a thousandth or so. The ring imprinted on the jacket sort of confirms this to me. And Hawg is correct...you can't just seat them .050 or more deeper without knowing if there is space between powder and base of bullet...compressed smokeless charges are a no-no in most cases. And if there's any sort of crimp, you may bulge the case mouth. Only practical way to go is pull the bullets, resize the cases and reseat bullets to the top of the cannelure. That's IF there is adequate clearance for the powder.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2023, 10:30:03 AM »
The chamber throat can affect your situation. Depending on the manufacturer's specs, they may have the throat diameter tighter as Kirk mentioned. That is something you would want to check with your caliper, too. You would want to measure the throat diameter and compare that to the bullet diameter. Maybe just a different brand of ammunition (or different bullets if you reload) would correct the issue.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2023, 11:04:10 AM »
Forgot to add this one.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2023, 11:40:00 AM »
That ring you see is the chamber throat.