Black Powder Pistols > Open Tops

.44 Spl S&W Not Seating Correctly

<< < (2/17) > >>

Captainkirk:
Caliper should work. Mic out the dimension just forward of the rim.
Since it's new ammo and not reloads, improper sizing should not be an issue.

mike116:
Caliper is all you need.     44 sp. should be the same diameter at the base as it is at the case mouth (.457) it's not a tapered case like 44-40.

Zulch:

--- Quote from: Captainkirk on January 09, 2023, 11:35:14 AM ---Caliper should work. Mic out the dimension just forward of the rim.
Since it's new ammo and not reloads, improper sizing should not be an issue.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Cap. Let me make sure i understand. With the round standing straight up I should measure from the top side of the rim to the top of the cartridge?

Zulch:

--- Quote from: mike116 on January 09, 2023, 11:38:25 AM ---Caliper is all you need.     44 sp. should be the same diameter at the base as it is at the case mouth (.457) it's not a tapered case like 44-40.

--- End quote ---

Okay, I see. I understand. I was thinking in my head, ( more like scratching my head) is this thing tapered or what an that may be the problem? I appreciate that info Mike.

Marshal Will:
A decent electronic caliper is available for +-$30. No need to get one of the $150 ones. I have micrometers and seldom ever use them. A caliper can measure depths as well as inside and outside diameters (and lengths).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version