Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Faux Ivory Grips  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Faux Ivory Grips
« on: January 10, 2023, 04:26:50 PM »
Has anybody stained fake ivory(polyurethane)with tea? If so how long does it take? I'm trying to age the grips on my RM.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Faux Ivory Grips
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 04:54:04 PM »
I have tried tea and coffee on Micarta grips.  It did not work.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 05:02:09 PM »
Well pooh.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 09:14:16 PM »
I have tried coffee, tea and a variety of leather dyes. None of them actually penetrated the grips. The color was just on the surface and I was concerned it would simply rub off with a little use so I cleaned them off.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 12:18:25 AM »
Clear coat maybe?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 05:14:49 AM »
I guess they are not porous? Great idea though. They would look better aged to me.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 07:08:58 AM »
I have put Gripmaker grips on and they do age naturally over time to pick up that nice yellow patina. Here's a comparison of the same pair of Gripmaker grips after 5 years or so.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 08:11:39 AM »
Found this video. Guy said he got the info from a forum. Is this what you may be looking for Hawg?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 10:24:47 AM »
Thanks Z. I've seen that one. I was looking for something I didn't have to buy stuff to use. I may just save my pennies for a few months and get a set I like.   Marshal I have a set of Buffalo Brothers stag grips on my model P and they haven't aged a bit in 15 years. I just don't like the bright white of the ones on my RM. They look like cheap plastic.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 10:39:41 AM »
Thanks Z. I've seen that one. I was looking for something I didn't have to buy stuff to use. I may just save my pennies for a few months and get a set I like.   Marshal I have a set of Buffalo Brothers stag grips on my model P and they haven't aged a bit in 15 years. I just don't like the bright white of the ones on my RM. They look like cheap plastic.
Yeah, I get that. I chose Gripmaker grips because of the aging factor. Whatever he makes his out of ages much like real ivory. They're almost indestructible, too.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 09:05:15 AM »
Gripmaker grips are made from urethane resin. Like the ones I make. I used leather dye on mine, and the color has not rubbed off. Also, the resin will yellow over time, just like the real McCoy.

Polyurethane probably won't take a dye. They're hard plastic like the bumper on your car. They're not porous at all. They also won't yellow over time, unless you have 30 or 40 years to wait.

Your best bet Hawg, is to get a set made from resin. I know that's not what you want to hear though.

One thing you could try, is to lightly sand the plastic before trying to dye it. Open up the surface to accept the dye. Try it on the backside first. Use a fine paper like 1000 grit. It just might work.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 10:48:35 AM »
I'm probably just going to save my pennies until I can get a set I like. I'd like to have a set of liberty eagle grips like Wild Bill had. If I can find a set with the eagle on the left side and the right side plain.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2023, 12:58:22 PM »
I'm probably just going to save my pennies until I can get a set I like. I'd like to have a set of liberty eagle grips like Wild Bill had. If I can find a set with the eagle on the left side and the right side plain.

Gripmaker Grips has just what you're looking for.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2023, 01:33:28 PM »

Gripmaker Grips has just what you're looking for.

The price isn't bad either.