Black Powder Pistols > Open Tops

1871-1872 Open Top pics

<< < (2/4) > >>

Zulch:

--- Quote from: dangt on January 17, 2023, 12:08:39 PM ---My 71-72 was bought new .  It's original barrel and box were marked "44 Special" but I found the "problem" before a shot was fired.  I had first primed a couple of new cases just to make sure there was no unforeseen problem before driving to the desert to shoot the gun.   That's when I found new unfired, sized or unsized, with untouched case mouths, cases would not fully seat in my gun's cylinder.  I had four other 44 Special handguns that I have reloaded for ( now have six others) so I knew something was amiss.  Loaded cartridges with roll crimped bullets would chamber but I never gave the gun a chance to fire these.  I am convinced that a crimped case could not fully open upon firing and expelling the bullet.

I have not made a chamber cast to measure.  I did not feel the need to.  I just use shorter cases:  44 colt and 44 Russian.   The replacement 5.5" barrel that I happened to find in stock was coincidentally available only in 44 colt caliber.   Its groove to groove dimension is the same as the original barrel.

--- End quote ---
dangt thank you sir. A very detailed explanation and I think I understand now. I appreciate you explaining. I am new to the cartridge world so it's much appreciated. It sounds like you have quite the collection of shooters!  This makes very good sense to me "I am convinced that a crimped case could not fully open upon firing and expelling the bullet". Thanks again. Z
"

Captainkirk:
I'm pretty confident that bullet would manage to find it's way of of the end of a roll crimped cartridge. Might shave a smidge of lead, but the bullet obturates in the barrel anyway.
But as long as you can get Russian or Colt brass, why not? Sounds like you found a simple solution.
And as to your gun being "nothing special"... I disagree!

dangt:
I think  if I had fired 44 Special loads there would have been more than a smidge of lead wiped off the sides of the bullet.  There would have been some pressure increase also.   I was not a bit curious to find out how Special loads would work.

Zulch:
Can’t say that I blame you one bit dangt.

Hawg:
Y'all are missing something here. He can insert them fully with a little more thumb pressure. Do you really think he can squeeze a brass case with a FMJ down a short chamber with his thumb?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version