Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Navy .36 energy  (Read 1026 times)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Navy .36 energy
« on: December 03, 2023, 06:45:57 PM »
The imaginative process may help.  Any fanciful or romantic notions you may harbor about these guns? 

I dreamed that I got an interorbital shot on an up close mountain lion, a big-un.  Hit him dead square between the eyes with a Navy (that’s a .36 for those who resist the notion).  The skull slopes in that area, as is known.  In this dream I was using my standard .380 and 24 graines and the ball bounced, … bounced! …, he kept a’comin and then I woke up.  No wonder I carry something in .44 when I’m out on a scout.

At 1000 ft/sec a .380 (84 gr) produces 186 ft/lbs of energy.  That is not overly much but plenty for Tutt and many others. Just for comparison - a 141 gr .454 gets 313 ft/lbs at 1000.  Big difference. Anyone have an actual thought on this?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 07:01:06 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Navy .36 energy
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 07:03:08 AM »
If that scenario had played out in the real world said mountain lion would be dead. The problem would be making the shot. If he was standing still no problem but if he's running good luck. A hit anywhere else with a 36 might kill it but not before he has you for lunch.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 08:56:26 AM »
I can't comment about hunting, but I shoot my share of Navies. If steel knock down targets are any indication, there is a big difference using a 130 gr. flat point heel bullet compared to the round ball. Apples to oranges I suppose, but worth consideration. If I was going out to the woods with a Navy, that heel bullet with as much powder as I can fit in the chamber is what I would be taking.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 09:35:31 AM »
FWIW, one ACW Union surgeon (can't recall the name) stated that while the devastation caused by a .44 RB was quite a bit more severe, the smaller .36 RB tended to penetrate deeper and cause exit wounds, causing far greater rates of infection due to clothing being driven deep into the wound and higher rates of blood loss. His conclusion was the smaller .36 caused more deaths as a result.
Also WRT Hickok/Tutt...several differing versions of that story are out there, some claiming it was a Dragoon that made the fatal 75 yard shot. Makes more sense to me.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 10:55:08 AM »
FWIW, one ACW Union surgeon (can't recall the name) stated that while the devastation caused by a .44 RB was quite a bit more severe, the smaller .36 RB tended to penetrate deeper and cause exit wounds, causing far greater rates of infection due to clothing being driven deep into the wound and higher rates of blood loss. His conclusion was the smaller .36 caused more deaths as a result.
Also WRT Hickok/Tutt...several differing versions of that story are out there, some claiming it was a Dragoon that made the fatal 75 yard shot. Makes more sense to me.

If he knew where the encounter was going to take place and it was his intentions to kill Tutt I'd say he used a dragoon. If it was a chance encounter then probably a .36.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 12:41:05 PM »
I think it's pretty well documented that Hickok knew Davis Tutt was looking for him.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 07:38:10 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 04:43:18 PM »
I think it's pretty well documented that Hickok knew Davis Tutt was looking for him.

Unless you know it's going to be a long range affair why carry something as heavy as a dragoon?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 07:38:26 PM by Captainkirk »