Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Mold problem  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Mold problem
« on: February 15, 2023, 01:36:58 PM »
One of my holsters is a 30 year old Slim Jim(maker no longer in business). I am forever fighting a mold issue as it is covered again in a couple of months no matter how I clean it. All my cowboy gear is stored in my basement(no choice) but all my other leather gear, with the exception of another pair, never has a problem. Is it a coincidence that those holsters affected are the ones that see limited use?
Either way, I would appreciate any advise on what products/methods any of you find affective combating this problem. Products I've used in the past and have plenty of are Saddle Soap, Neats Foot oil and Skidmores. Thanks.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mold problem
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 01:48:59 PM »
That’s interesting and annoying. I think there might b something to the dampness in the basement. I have the same problem.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 02:22:16 PM »
I just treated some mold on an antique picture frame with alcohol first to kill the mold then something to restore the natural oils in the wood. Skidmore's is a good product for doing that with leather or wood.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 01:05:32 PM »
Here is a product that works well on mold,   
https://leatherworldtech.com/leather-master-mold-cleaner/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxbefBhDfARIsAL4XLRpzNoMiU8gYBYlNRRqOloEmANK0o-YYa5PwND9yxsKBi51JeDgAlowaAtIxEALw_wcB
I used it a few years ago on a project that had developed a pretty severe mold problem.   It's pretty expensive now,  I don't remember it being that expensive a few years ago.

As Marshall Will said, alcohol will kill mold and mildew but if the leather is dyed it might remove some of the original color.

In addition a 5% bleach solution sprayed on and worked into the surface with a soft brush will take care of mold.   Citrus juice such as lemon or lime juice applied to the moldy area also kills mold spores effectively.   I have used both of these methods on minor mold  problems in the past.   Lemon juice also removes iron staining on veg tan leather.
Always be sure to use a little neetsfoot oil or olive oil to keep the leather from drying out after cleaning.   Don't use too much oil or the leather will become soft and lose it's shape.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 01:15:08 PM »
Thank you Marshal and Mike. I will certainly try your suggestions. I've got a couple of holsters that have gotten moldy. I've since put them indoors in a more climate controlled environment.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 07:31:15 AM »
Yes, thank you Marshal and Mike. I don't understand what makes those particular holsters of mine susceptible to mold while all my other leather never has a problem.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 08:53:16 AM »
Yes, thank you Marshal and Mike. I don't understand what makes those particular holsters of mine susceptible to mold while all my other leather never has a problem.
Perhaps the finish on those are more susceptible to mold than the finishes on your other ones.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 09:12:43 AM »
I've seen some older gun leather out of Mexico that was urine tanned. Not sure if that could create the issue or not.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 10:28:22 AM »
I've seen some older gun leather out of Mexico that was urine tanned. Not sure if that could create the issue or not.

10 or 15 years ago there was an outfit and I want to say it was Sarco but I might be wrong that was selling fancy tooled gun rigs from Mexico that were urine tanned. Some of the SASS shooters bought them. I don't remember anything about mold but they said they stank to high heaven when they got wet. A heavy two gun rig with very elaborate tooling was selling for 50 bucks.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 11:34:23 AM »
The first and oldest holster I mentioned was made by "Gila River Leather-Phoenix Arizona". I believe the gentleman went by "Thunderbolt". The second pair was made for my wife by the late Dennis Yoder. I only mention their names because all three holsters exhibit excellent craftsmanship. All my other leather is black in color and those are the only pieces that are a reddish chestnut. Beautiful color and I doubt that has anything to do with it, but I wouldn't know.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 04:48:25 PM »
Both pretty well known makers. I doubt they used the cheap leather.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick