Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Tight arbor fit  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tight arbor fit
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 10:56:28 AM »
Don't try to fix the arbor until it starts going together easier. Mikes fix with the screw in the end of the arbor is to have an adjustable wedge not to fix a short arbor.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 11:59:29 AM »
Don't try to fix the arbor until it starts going together easier

Thats what I was thinking Hawg.

Mikes fix with the screw in the end of the arbor is to have an adjustable wedge not to fix a short arbor.

Yes I realize that. The screw head I'm referring to is the arbor spacer that he uses.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 12:33:13 PM »
The screw head I'm referring to is the arbor spacer that he uses.

Gotcha.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 06:45:48 PM »
The gun is an Uberti Dragoon  of 1984 manufacture so yes it does have a short arbor which is what I want to fix.

My plan was to do the 45 Dragoon fix, a number 14 SS sheet metal screw head in the arbor hole.

My concern is with the tight fit of the two parts, when sanding the screw head down and then dropping it in the arbor hole to check for fitment.

I believe 45 dragoon says to sand the head down till the barrel and frame meet then do your final arbor sanding to get your endshake.

But if I happen to sand the screw head down a little to far and then force the two assemblies together would I not already be too short.

Maybe I'm overthinking this.  I'll go back and reread the Shop Series thread again.

Thanks everyone

Shootemup

You are correct sir but, after the frame/ barrel lug  come together,  you need to start paying attention to the endshake.  If you get to .004"- .005" with the wedge in, THEN use the JB and mount the spacer. Now you zero in on the endshake by dressing the end of the arbor.

Mike

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2023, 06:48:01 PM »
You guys are awesome!!
You actually understand what I'm trying to say !!!!  (7+"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2023, 07:36:45 PM »
You guys are awesome!!
You actually understand what I'm trying to say !!!!  (7+"

Well you say it so much some of it has to stick. (7+" (7+" (7+"

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2023, 09:12:17 PM »
Thanks  45 Dragoon it makes sense now just needed that last little bit of info to make it all click in my head.

It is great to have you  here willing to share your knowledge with  everyone  even when these are the things you do for a living.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2023, 04:47:32 AM »
Thanks  45 Dragoon it makes sense now just needed that last little bit of info to make it all click in my head.

It is great to have you  here willing to share your knowledge with  everyone  even when these are the things you do for a living.

That's right Mike! Thank you sir!  :usa-flag-89: