Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: You never know what you'll find  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
You never know what you'll find
« on: March 08, 2023, 10:57:53 AM »
 I decided to do a water test between Remington and CCI caps. I knew I had a tin or two of Remington caps somewhere. I started going through possibles bags but didn't find them. I finally found them in one of my junk boxes. Brand new still in the blister pack. While I was going through possibles bags I found these from when I hunted with a .50 cal. I think they're Ox-Yoke but not sure as I haven't used bought patches since the late 80's or early 90's. They're still slightly oily feeling and they will leave an oily film on your fingers. They do have a little odor to them but you can't call it rank and you have to get your nose fairly close to them to smell it. I have one of each of the caps in marked bottles of water. In an hour or so or whenever I happen to remember them I'll test them.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: You never know what you'll find
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 01:28:23 PM »
I'm interested in your water test.  :cowboypistol:

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 02:18:32 PM »
OOPS!! I forgot. I left them both in bottled water for an hour and a half. I didn't dry them off and they both failed. The Remington clogged the nipple with primer compound. The CCI nipple was clean. CCI is on the right.

I couldn't get a good pic of the clogged nipple but you can see it if you look close.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 02:57:27 PM »
Thanks Hawg. Sounds like the CCI was good to go.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 02:58:07 PM »
Well not good to go

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 03:33:16 PM »

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 04:24:20 PM »
I've had Remington caps clog a nipple even when dry. I believed it happened because I used a push stick to seat the nipples and can only assume I pushed too hard. I stopped using a push stick and so far it's never happened again.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 05:10:47 AM »
I've had Remington caps clog a nipple even when dry. I believed it happened because I used a push stick to seat the nipples and can only assume I pushed too hard. I stopped using a push stick and so far it's never happened again.
That's good to know Navy Six. My CCI #11's don't seem to fit well on most of my factory cones. I just pinch them a little and shove them on with my thumb. Have considered a push stick. I've been advised to buy some Slix but haven't done it yet. I've never used the Remington #10s. Guess I could go that route, IF??? I can find some LOL :icon_scratch:

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 08:20:41 AM »
Zulch, in my opinion the Slix-hot nipples are well worth the money. They are very consistent in size/dimensions which a lot of factory nipples can't lay claim to. Also the Remington #10s are the closest thing to one size fits all and when they become available again are worth laying in a supply if you intend to do a lot of shooting. My only concern with the Remington caps is just occasionally the green priming compound will fall out of the cap in the form of a disc. All this is not news as I'm sure you have heard it many times before.
The push stick I thought I needed at a Cowboy Shoot in order to insure ignition. I guess I'm too heavy with the stick and went back to consistent thumb pressure which I have a better feel for--just make sure the caps fit correctly.
Hope we haven't strayed too much from Hawg's water test as that was quite interesting.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 09:48:31 AM »
Don't worry about straying from my water test. The test was a side note. My post was mainly about finding the old patches. Somebody on another forum said he had a CCI cap go through the washer and still fired. Then he took one and put it in a bottle of water for an hour and it still fired. This was after he dried it out with a blow drier. I decided to try both a Remington and a CCI and see what happened but I didn't dry them out afterward. I also forgot to get them out after an hour. It was an hour and a half before I remembered them. That priming compound coming out of Remington caps is the main reason I don't like them. I get far too many with missing compound. CCI #10's work fine for my factory nipples. They do require a little push to install but I know they're not falling off. I do have one Remington that somebody put SS nipples in and they take CCI #11.