Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Round Ball Cartridges  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Round Ball Cartridges
« on: February 11, 2023, 10:35:53 AM »
Like so many, I've found round balls more accurate in C&B pistols than conical bullets. I've done BP cartridges with good success but wanted to try round balls in them.

.454 round ball cartridges have a major issue in cartridges, that being lube. No lube grooves.

In a C45S cartridge, 25 grains of BP would be a good load with a slight amount of compression.

A 45 ACP case yields the right volume of 25 grains without any modification so I made a scoop out of one.

That would make a nice cartridge but no lube. You'd have to smear lube over the front of the cylinder just as with C&B.

I found that a Lee 45 Schofield Powder Thru Expanding Die, adjusted right (or wrong, depending on your perspective) will seat a round ball into a 45 Colt case to the same equivalent powder capacity as the C45S cartridge. Obviously these would be sized and primed cases.

I intend to try these and put lube in them with a wax cookie crimped in on top to keep dirt and trash out of the cartridge until ready to use. I don't think I can lube the loaded cartridges too far in advance of using them but they would work fine in the field. SASS would not allow them because the bullet is below the cartridge lip but for other uses, they would be fine. The case in the photo has been crimped but that won't happen with real loads until the lube is in them.

So the process is: 1) Size and prime the cases. 2) Into the Lee expanding die and add powder charge. 3) Drop the cartridge and put a round ball in, up into the die a second time to seat the ball. 4) Back into the case sizing die, without the decapper pin, to crimp the cartridge onto the round ball. The day before shooting: 5) Fill the end of the cases with lube and put a waxed cardboard cookie on top 6) Into the bullet closing die to put a crimp over the waxed cardboard cookie.

If this works, maybe someone will invent a cylinder that you can just pour powder in, seat a ball, smear lube over the chambers and prime the back of the chamber.  (7+"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Round Ball Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 09:20:36 AM »
I've seen this done before Marshal. I believe there's a couple videos showing guys loading round ball into cases. You could put a waxed card and lube cookie in the case, between the powder and ball. Similar to how a lot of guys load their cap guns. I don't think you'd have much of a chance of contamination of the powder unless you store your ammo in the direct sun or a really hot location. Might be worth trying a few and leaving them for an extended period to see if they hold up.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 09:57:57 AM »
That's a good idea Dave. Maybe even a combination of a card and a thinner pill.

I have 3 paper cartridges loaded with a lube pill (no card) that have been sitting in my closet for a couple of years. The pills don't seem to have leached into the paper at all. I live in AZ and the house can get warm at times, especially in this southwest facing closet.

Has anyone actually had issues with a lube pill contaminating powder?
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 10:06:31 AM »
That's a good idea Dave. Maybe even a combination of a card and a thinner pill.

I have 3 paper cartridges loaded with a lube pill (no card) that have been sitting in my closet for a couple of years. The pills don't seem to have leached into the paper at all. I live in AZ and the house can get warm at times, especially in this southwest facing closet.

Has anyone actually had issues with a lube pill contaminating powder?

I would think that would depend on the consistency of the pill.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 10:10:00 AM »
I agree.....mine are always made to handle AZ temps. So I never really worry about it.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 04:53:29 PM »
Thank you, Dave. That's something to try. I have waxed cards as shown in the photo. I also have some Wonder Wads I could do that with. It's a good idea to load some up to let sit around for a while. On top of the stove, right?  L@J

Thanks for the additional input, Mick, Hawg.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 06:28:46 PM »
Thank you, Dave. That's something to try. I have waxed cards as shown in the photo. I also have some Wonder Wads I could do that with. It's a good idea to load some up to let sit around for a while. On top of the stove, right?  L@J

On top of the stove could lead to some pretty lively dinner preparation!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 09:48:54 PM »

On top of the stove could lead to some pretty lively dinner preparation!
You betcha!