Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 45 Colt reloads  (Read 6686 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
45 Colt reloads
« on: July 10, 2016, 08:02:34 AM »
took my Winchester '92' out for a test of the loads i loaded up with what i understand is an original load [minus the old cases of course].

load consists of; 40 grains GOEX 2Fg powder ... Lee 255 grain round flat nose of 20 to 1 lead/tin mix ... CCI number 300 large pistol caps.

i did not resize the cases from the firing as my normal when i load blackpowder. just flaired slightly to accept the lead without shaving any lead. i then dropped the powder thru a 24 inch long drop tube to settle the powder as successfully as i could manage before compressing with the bullet. i then place the bullet on top of the powder and compress it about .350 inch to where the crimp groove lines up with the case lip ... i used one bullet to perform this on one case full of powder as a test to establish if it would work without smashing the bullet out of shape ... and it worked perfect. i crimped them at the same time as seating with the RCBS die. {the other method would be to use my compression die and compress the powder first before seating the bullet on the powder}.

my next step will be to try some thin overpowder wads to seperate the powder from the lead and i think i will have to use the compression die with this method as these new style 45 cases dont have the room that the older cases had.

short story long ... upon shooting these at 25 yards for an intitial test i am glad to report that all bullets went into a 4 shot hole with a flier that opens it up to around 1.5 inch group. these were with 5 shot groups and i swabbed the bore between groups to do the next five shot group. however i shot the last two 5 shot groups without the cleaning between groups and noticed no adverse effect with the group size being consistant. now to try at 50 yards and see if it will hold together.

these are nice shooting loads in the 24 inch barrel of the Winchester '92' and next time i will load enough to stay awhile with the Winchester. should be a keen hunting load as well if that ever comes up.
BIGTED

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
Re: 45 Colt reloads
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 08:04:45 AM »
 )l_  Sounds like the same load i use in my 66.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:49:25 AM by HAWKEN50 »

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:26:04 AM »
only hickup i have is my chamber. it has that goofy Miroku chamber that ... a fireformed case flaired will take a .459 inch bullet. the bore is .454 if memory serves.

sure is a fun round/rifle to shoot tho ... i enjoy it a ton and so far the blackpowder loads do the best accuracy wise.
BIGTED

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:50:25 AM »
Do you get much blowback in that chamber.  Mine doesn't as long as its a full charge.

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
Bigted, what are you using for lube?  I've been thinking of loading some 45 colt using 2F and a Lyman 454190 bullet for use in a Colt single action revolver.

Regards
Gary

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »
no not much blowby as i do not resize the cases and i also use full power loads.

i use SPG lube but you can make lube that will work very well;

1- 1/2 bee wax 1/2 clear vasoline ... this is mixed on a very low heat till all melt together and stir for around 3 minutes to mix well ... then allow to cool.

2- 1/2 bee wax again and 1/2 lamb or sheep tallow ... mix the same as above.

3- 1/3 bee wax 1/3 unsalted crisco 1/3 olive oil ... mix the same.

the above mixtures can be made softer or harder as needed by adding bee wax for stiffness and oil/tallow for softer as the case demands.

the original Sharps recipe called for 1/2 bee wax and 1/2 whale tallow and mix richer or leaner on the tallow for the stiffness desired ... now go forth and find whale blubber to cook down for the tallow  (7+" ^j) (jh (jh
BIGTED

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »
Yep beeswax and olive oil work well also..

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »
Beeswax is good stuff, I just cast some 200gr gas check 35 REM.  Beeswax, vasoline, a few drops lanolin, and some red paraffin for color.  Makes great medium to stiff lube. For less stiff, I added in some vegi shortening

Just finished 22 of each, ready to test load them.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »
N0 lever action was chambered in .45 Colt until 1985, Not a typo, nineteen eighty five.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 06:56:17 AM »
Yes but the repro makers saw a good market in CAS to go along with the '73 Colts. Most of the really good shooters were shooting mouse loads in 32s and 38s though. I have an Uberti '73 and a Rossi '92 in 45 Colt, fun guns. I have been using up some GAR bulk BP lube I bought years ago, along with some occasional SPG. I also have a Mason jar full of beeswax/bear tallow I made up a couple of years ago, so am set for quite a while for lube!

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 06:52:13 PM »
N0 lever action was chambered in .45 Colt until 1985, Not a typo, nineteen eighty five.

Not sure what your meaning is and I understand and am glad Winchester came to their senses when they did as my '92' is very sweet and the 24 inch round barrel along with some nice engraving make this a real treat to look at and handle.

She shoots very good as well. I do realize that no original 1892 was chambered in the Colt round.
BIGTED

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »
Didn't really have any meaning, just making a statement. A lot of people don't know that. Uberti was the first to chamber a lever in .45 Colt....Just sayin.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 05:16:43 PM »
I have understood that the Colt 45 case had next to no rim and this is the reason that no one chambered it in a rifle.

When the case changed to the current status it became viable as a rimmed case for the rifle extractor to grab onto
BIGTED

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »
I have understood that the Colt 45 case had next to no rim and this is the reason that no one chambered it in a rifle.

When the case changed to the current status it became viable as a rimmed case for the rifle extractor to grab onto

The original cases were made from copper and the case head was hollow. An extractor would have torn right through them. Colt went to brass in IIRC 1888 but I don't know when the size changed. You can thank cowboy action shooting for the levers being chambered in .45 Colt. If not for them it probably would never have been done. Likewise we most likely wouldn't have all the repros we do now.