Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Family Member  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: New Family Member
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2023, 09:19:47 PM »
The dogs I've been around seem to sense something isn't right. I've got some rattler skins....once she's settled better I may use them to help train her. Scorpions are probably a lot harder.....no idea on that one.

I have the yard pretty much snake proof and haven't seen a rattler for about 5 years.
Maybe catch a scorpion and rub the scent on something?

How do you snake proof a yard? Small mesh screen for a fence? Keep a couple mongooses?

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2023, 05:23:35 AM »
LOL....I'll let you catch the scorpion! We have concrete block fencing over 90% of the yard...about 20' of steel bar fencing with wire mesh on the bottom. The gates have wire mesh scrapers on the bottom. It's worked well for rattlers. King snakes seem to make it in once in a while and if I see one close to the house, I'll generally bring it into the yard. They are very docile and the best part is, Rattlesnake is part of their diet.

Now that we have Daisy....the pack rats should be pretty much cleared from the yard.....that can also attract rattlers.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2023, 06:47:54 AM »
Well, you know they won't go through a concrete block wall. Which sub-species of king snake do you have there? The ones here are the black and white California king snake.

Seems you might have those Mojave Green rattlers, too. I learned about them while living in Kingman. They're a good reason to wear Western boots with tall tops. A friend of mine had one snag the ankle of his boot when he stepped off his porch. Nasty little buggers.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023, 09:33:17 AM »
Happy for ya Mick. I couldn't imagine life without a dog.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2023, 09:38:23 AM »
Yup Dave.....surprised I sent as long as I did...
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2023, 09:42:59 AM »
We have Desert king's here, a lot like the Cali ones, just less white on them.

Yup....Mojave's a nasty things. They've been spotted in our area occasionally. Like you said, tall boots are in order, the taller the better. Though you don't see rattlers often, you need to keep a keen eye out.....and listen.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2023, 10:36:04 AM »

Yup....Mojave's a nasty things. They've been spotted in our area occasionally. Like you said, tall boots are in order, the taller the better. Though you don't see rattlers often, you need to keep a keen eye out.....and listen.
Desert kings are really beautifully colored. We don't get them here.

When I walk in areas where there are rattlers, I try to make a little extra noise so they have a chance to move aside before I get to them. Still keep my eyes and ears alert, though. In areas like here, where rattlers are rare, I seldom make any noise. I still pay attention to my surroundings.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2023, 01:42:14 PM »
Rattlesnakes and water moccasins show up anywhere around here. Sometimes in places you least expect them. My neighbor killed a timber rattler right under the drivers side door of his pickup last year. When I lived in Eucutta, MS I killed a timber rattler under a shrub next to a salt water pool. The closest I think I've ever come to being bitten by a poisonous snake was a water moccasin just inside the door to a large tractor shed also in Eucutta. Normally I opened the door and went right in but this time I wanted a board that I knew was just inside the door against the wall. If I had just went in like I normally do I would have stepped on him. As it was I was within striking distance. I froze and didn't move. After what seemed like an eternity he went deeper into the shed. I decided I didn't need that board or anything else out of there for the rest of the summer.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2023, 05:28:20 PM »

Desert kings are really beautifully colored. We don't get them here.

When I walk in areas where there are rattlers, I try to make a little extra noise so they have a chance to move aside before I get to them. Still keep my eyes and ears alert, though. In areas like here, where rattlers are rare, I seldom make any noise. I still pay attention to my surroundings.

Yup....I try to make some noise too....usually they are just trying to get away or get frightened. A little warning that you are coming and they usually slide away unnoticed.

Hawg....timber rattlers and water moccasins are nothing to mess with for sure. Those are some aggressive SOB's.
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2023, 07:13:51 PM »
Hawg....timber rattlers and water moccasins are nothing to mess with for sure. Those are some aggressive SOB's.

Yup but rattlers at least give warning even tho I can't hear them unless I'm right on top of them. That one by the pool proved that to me. Moccasin's are like rattlers on PMS. They're territorial and very aggressive. They will come after you.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2023, 09:09:46 PM »
No thanks on those!
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2023, 05:14:01 AM »

Yup but rattlers at least give warning even tho I can't hear them unless I'm right on top of them. That one by the pool proved that to me. Moccasin's are like rattlers on PMS. They're territorial and very aggressive. They will come after you.

You're exactly right Hawg. they will come after you. I remember as a kid being at a creek, (remember those days?) hangin' out at the creek? fun times. I was wading in the creek looking for musk turtles and  apparently i stepped on or disturbed a moccasin. Man I ran on water that day, looking over my shoulder and that snake was in hot pursuit like an angry wasp. Sheesh. Copperheads aren't much fun to walk up on either.