Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Anyone here own a Marlin Lever Action??  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Anyone here own a Marlin Lever Action??
« on: April 04, 2023, 11:36:46 AM »
I have been looking of late for a lever action rifle. I know this guy that has this one. He sent a picture of it. the photo is not the best but it's what I have. He said this is his 1894 I'm trying to beat him out of it. (7+" I ain't having much luck. He's got a couple of Rossi' 92's. I'd like to beat him out of it too.  (7+" (7+" I'll post those under Winchester. If you have one of these here rifles please tell me the pros and cons as I would like to have as much information as possible before I buy a lever action. Also, what are the best manufacture years for one of these?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here own a Marlin Lever Action??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 11:40:18 AM »
I have a Marlin 336CS chambered in .35 Remington. It's one of the earlier JM rifles (pre-"Remlin") and I absolutely love it! Took my first deer ever with it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 11:43:44 AM »
I have a Marlin 336CS chambered in .35 Remington. It's one of the earlier JM rifles (pre-"Remlin") and I absolutely love it! Took my first deer ever with it.

Awesome Cap!! Can I beat you out of it?? I'm sure you've posted a pic of it somewhere?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 11:57:21 AM »

Awesome Cap!! Can I beat you out of it?? I'm sure you've posted a pic of it somewhere?

There may be some pix here. If not, I'll be sure to post some up shortly.
And you couldn't afford to beat me out of it. The JM Marlins have gone through the roof in value in the last decade.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 12:00:17 PM »
I have an 1894 in 45-70,   It'll leave a mark if you shoot it very many times in a row.    Never the less it's a great rifle.   I don't go where the bears are anymore but if I did I'd carry the '94 Marlin with me but I'd look at an Uberti 1873 or 1866 Winchester replica for the prices the Marlin 1894/1895 are bringing.     How much does the guy want?   What caliber?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 12:15:59 PM »
I have an 1894 in 45-70,   It'll leave a mark if you shoot it very many times in a row.    Never the less it's a great rifle.   I don't go where the bears are anymore but if I did I'd carry the '94 Marlin with me but I'd look at an Uberti 1873 or 1866 Winchester replica for the prices the Marlin 1894/1895 are bringing.     How much does the guy want?   What caliber?

Hey Mike, thank you. I appreciate your comments. He is the son of a good friend of mine. We were just talking about his lever action rifles and he sent a few pictures. Just one picture was of this Marlin. He at this point isn't selling, I was just hoping he might consider selling it. It's chambered in .44 Mag he said. Also said it was an early model?? Our communication has been through emails and text. He has about 6 or more lever actions. Winchesters, Rossi's and Marlin's. Says he also has a 1909 Marlin in 30-30. Nice fella and he does like his lever action guns. He said when he comes up to visit his Dad (my friend ) he will brig them all and let me shoot them. I'm looking forward to that.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 12:30:52 PM »
I've had a couple of Marlin 94's. One of them wouldn't feed .44 specials. I had to download .44 mags if I wanted .44 special power. The other one fed specials and mags with no problems. I didn't keep either one of them for very long. I guess I'm just a Winchester kinda guy. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 12:46:35 PM »
I've had a couple of Marlin 94's. One of them wouldn't feed .44 specials. I had to download .44 mags if I wanted .44 special power. The other one fed specials and mags with no problems. I didn't keep either one of them for very long. I guess I'm just a Winchester kinda guy. (7+"

Thanks Hawg. If I recall correctly you like the Rossi 92 Puma's? this fellow mentioned that one of his Rossi 92's in .38 spl/.357 Mag will not not feed .38 spl very well but loved the Magnums? Is that uncommon?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 01:07:50 PM »

Thanks Hawg. If I recall correctly you like the Rossi 92 Puma's? this fellow mentioned that one of his Rossi 92's in .38 spl/.357 Mag will not not feed .38 spl very well but loved the Magnums? Is that uncommon?

It's pretty common for a rifle to not like standard ammo but feed magnums fine. I had an Interarms Rossi but it wasn't a Puma. The post Interarms Rossi's have a safety. I wouldn't want one of them. They do make a kit to replace it but it still doesn't look right. The Puma is made by Chiappa now. What I'd love to have is an El Tigre.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 03:45:00 PM »
As an aside, there will be NEW, Ruger made Marlins in .357 and .44 mag coming out later this year.  Or so was announced at SHOT.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 04:04:58 PM »
I imagine they will be like the Remington Marlins. The first ones will have issues and they will get a bad rep because of it. Give them a year or two to get it down and they will be just as good as the JM guns. I've got a model 60 Remlin I bought new in Jan. of 2013. It is just as reliable and as accurate as a JM model 60. I'm not crazy about the short barrel and mag tube but the gun has no faults.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 03:02:03 AM »
Hello Zulch,

I do have a few Winchester Model 94's, both pre and post 1964 models.
The only Marlin I own is an 1893 chambered in 32-40. However I did purchase an 1894 Cowboy for my son many ago.
It's chambered in .357 Magnum, looks very similar to the photo you posted but with an octagon barrel of 20" length.
Great little shooter, and the dollar value keeps going up.
I also have a Rossi Puma in .357 Magnum, I really love carrying that little carbine and did shoot a deer with it years ago.
Personally I think the Marlins have a smoother action, but all the levers are sweet in my opinion.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2023, 03:28:28 AM »
Hello Zulch,

I do have a few Winchester Model 94's, both pre and post 1964 models.
The only Marlin I own is an 1893 chambered in 32-40. However I did purchase an 1894 Cowboy for my son many ago.
It's chambered in .357 Magnum, looks very similar to the photo you posted but with an octagon barrel of 20" length.
Great little shooter, and the dollar value keeps going up.
I also have a Rossi Puma in .357 Magnum, I really love carrying that little carbine and did shoot a deer with it years ago.
Personally I think the Marlins have a smoother action, but all the levers are sweet in my opinion.

AntiqueSledMan.

A Rossi can be slicked up to one finger operation with cartridges by filling the action with white lithium grease and working it a few hours. Or you can take it apart and stone the moving parts. That will make it a pinky finger operation with cartridges. The Marlins I had were a little rough but I never took the time to smooth them up.
[/quote]

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 04:37:39 AM »
What caliber is that Marlin? The reason I ask is the difference in rifling style. If it has the Micro-Groove rifling and you want to shoot black powder I understand there are issues. I have two 1894 Marlins in .357 that were made in the early 2000's and they have the standard(can't think of the exact name! :icon_scratch:) rifling and they shoot black powder no problem. It was about that time frame that Marlin started changing the rifling. It would be worthwhile to check.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 05:13:11 AM »
What caliber is that Marlin? The reason I ask is the difference in rifling style. If it has the Micro-Groove rifling and you want to shoot black powder I understand there are issues. I have two 1894 Marlins in .357 that were made in the early 2000's and they have the standard(can't think of the exact name! :icon_scratch:) rifling and they shoot black powder no problem. It was about that time frame that Marlin started changing the rifling. It would be worthwhile to check.
howdy Navy Six...It is chambered in .44 Mag. and he says it's a very early model I think from the 1980's but not sure. Not sure about the rifling either but will ask. Thanks for the input.