Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Anyone here own a Marlin Lever Action??  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here own a Marlin Lever Action??
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2023, 05:21:30 AM »
Hello Zulch,

I do have a few Winchester Model 94's, both pre and post 1964 models.
The only Marlin I own is an 1893 chambered in 32-40. However I did purchase an 1894 Cowboy for my son many ago.
It's chambered in .357 Magnum, looks very similar to the photo you posted but with an octagon barrel of 20" length.
Great little shooter, and the dollar value keeps going up.
I also have a Rossi Puma in .357 Magnum, I really love carrying that little carbine and did shoot a deer with it years ago.
Personally I think the Marlins have a smoother action, but all the levers are sweet in my opinion.

AntiqueSledMan.

ASM, thank you sir, I appreciate your input. Interesting getting all the different opinions on these guns. That is very helpful. I really like the Rossi Puma myself, Hawg had suggested that I look into the Rossi' Rossi 92. (thanks Hawg) also I would be interested in hearing from anyone anyone considers the best years of production for the Rossi 92?  ASM, if you have any pictures of your Puma carbine I would like to see it. By the way, do any of you guys like the stock of the pictured gun? Personally, I think it's beautiful.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2023, 09:41:46 AM »
I bought a '92 Rossi Puma when I first started CAS. It was a very fine rifle. Nice finish and a fairly smooth action. I did out grow it as I got faster. I was closing the action with the cartridge up in the air and it would hit the upper rim of the chamber as I closed it, slowing my clock time as I had to lower the lever slightly then close it fully. I then went to a Model '73 and my times went into the upper 10%. This doesn't mean the Rossi Puma isn't a good gun. They are. I really liked mine and wish I still had it. I do like the '92 design, just not for competition. I'd say most shooters don't get fast enough for that to matter. If you have a chance to get an early one, go for it. They're really good rifles. If I were to take one hunting, the '92 is light and easy to carry.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2023, 09:52:59 AM »
It depends on the caliber whether it has Ballard rifling or micro groove. .357's and 45-70's have Ballard. There may be others with Ballard.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2023, 10:08:31 AM »
I bought a '92 Rossi Puma when I first started CAS. It was a very fine rifle. Nice finish and a fairly smooth action. I did out grow it as I got faster. I was closing the action with the cartridge up in the air and it would hit the upper rim of the chamber as I closed it, slowing my clock time as I had to lower the lever slightly then close it fully. I then went to a Model '73 and my times went into the upper 10%. This doesn't mean the Rossi Puma isn't a good gun. They are. I really liked mine and wish I still had it. I do like the '92 design, just not for competition. I'd say most shooters don't get fast enough for that to matter. If you have a chance to get an early one, go for it. They're really good rifles. If I were to take one hunting, the '92 is light and easy to carry.

Thank you Marshal. I certainly will not be in any sort of competition. Strictly for enjoyment. What caliber was your 92?

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2023, 10:15:56 AM »

Thank you Marshal. I certainly will not be in any sort of competition. Strictly for enjoyment. What caliber was your 92?
Mine was 38/357. I split the side of a .357 case and pushed a bullet into it just a little bit. Then I closed it into the action and removed it carefully to see where it fit the chamber best. Then I seated the bullets to that depth. It was really accurate and operated flawlessly with those rounds.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2023, 10:33:28 AM »

Mine was 38/357. I split the side of a .357 case and pushed a bullet into it just a little bit. Then I closed it into the action and removed it carefully to see where it fit the chamber best. Then I seated the bullets to that depth. It was really accurate and operated flawlessly with those rounds.
Marshal, was it because you were in CAS that you felt it necessary to do that? Making it as perfect a fit as possible since you obviously were reloading yourself? Just curious. I'm learning, thank you.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2023, 10:54:45 AM »

Marshal, was it because you were in CAS that you felt it necessary to do that? Making it as perfect a fit as possible since you obviously were reloading yourself? Just curious. I'm learning, thank you.
That's why I did it. Necessary? No. I just wanted everything to be as accurate as possible.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2023, 11:16:54 AM »

That's why I did it. Necessary? No. I just wanted everything to be as accurate as possible.
Got it. thanks Marshal.