Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Rossi 92? LSI Puma? What gives?  (Read 5540 times)

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
Re: Rossi 92? LSI Puma? What gives?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2023, 06:23:19 AM »
The 94 is an improvement over the 92. The 92 is shorter and smaller and an improvement over the 86 action wise.

Well Hawg,

They claim the 94 was an improvement, but they rattle and are completely different with the locking bar behind the breach block.
The 92 is simply a smaller version of the 1886, a true piece of work with the parallel locking bars milled in on each side of the breach block.
I do have a few Model 94's, but the 92 action is much smoother.
I've read where Winchester purchased a lot of J. Browning patents, mainly to keep others from building his stuff.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2023, 08:39:03 AM »
My 94 doesn't rattle and it's not even one of the good ones. The 94 is easier to reassemble. Granted the 92 is smoother but it's not designed to feed full length rifle cartridges. Would the 94 be smoother if it was a stretched out 92? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just sayin.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2023, 03:58:31 AM »
Hello Hawg,

The 1886 is smooth as silk, just like the 92, but it's a little longer throw. Why wouldn't a mid length in that design be smooth also.
I'm sure it was considered at one time, but with J. Browning designs popping out Winchester went with the 1894.
I'm pretty sure the 1894 will withstand higher pressures then the 1886/1892 design.
All in all, I do love the lever actions. They are a true American Design, second to none.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2023, 08:57:52 AM »
I've never handled an 86 so I didn't know. I dunno, is one locking lug across the back stronger than two on the sides?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2023, 10:30:20 AM »
I've never handled an 86 so I didn't know. I dunno, is one locking lug across the back stronger than two on the sides?

Not sure if one bigger one is stronger than two smaller ones? :icon_scratch:
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2023, 10:52:15 AM »
I am enjoying the activity on this thread. Your teaching this guy a lot, so thank you all for your input. Z

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2023, 10:53:49 AM »
I'm thinking one on each side would be more rigid.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2023, 11:11:11 AM »
I'm sure the motivation to go for one locking block instead of two is cost to manufacture. The '92 is a superb design but the '94 became the standard.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2023, 11:59:38 AM »
I'm sure the motivation to go for one locking block instead of two is cost to manufacture. The '92 is a superb design but the '94 became the standard.

They're both great designs in their own right but the 92 is smoother. My 94 is still a little clunky feeling after 44 years.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2023, 06:16:03 PM »
My old beater of a 94 made in 1979. It has no rattles whatsoever. All I've done to it besides shoot it is replace the lever because the cartridge stop wore out. I wouldn't take a million bucks for it(slight exaggeration) (7+"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2023, 05:52:09 AM »
My old beater of a 94 made in 1979. It has no rattles whatsoever. All I've done to it besides shoot it is replace the lever because the cartridge stop wore out. I wouldn't take a million bucks for it(slight exaggeration) (7+"

Hey, that's nice Hawg. When did you get that one? I like it.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2023, 07:21:12 AM »
I've had it a long time Z.

Offline AZ6Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2023, 11:27:56 AM »
I honestly don't know Z. Mine was imported by Interarms. The action was rough. You had to really slam the lever forward to get the carrier to rise. I filled the action with white lithium grease and worked it for a few hours and after that you could work cartridges through it with one finger easily. Working it vs stoning makes the parts wear in together. Stoning does give a little smoother action. Using lighter springs lightens it up even more. Mine was in 44-40 and an excellent shooter. It was reliable and never jammed. My only dislike about it is the front sight is mounted on the front barrel band like an 1873 instead of behind the barrel band where it belongs. IMO the Chiappa is a better choice. I don't know if all of the BrazTech Rossi's have a manual safety but most of them do and that for me is a hard pass. I hated to sell mine because I really liked it but it is what it is. Mine looked a lot like the one in your pic.

You think lithium grease is better than the old graphite Gunslick?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2023, 11:56:44 AM »
For this application I think so. You want to completely fill the action so everything has a grease coating while you work it. Graphite might work but I think it would rub off the moving parts if it wasn't filled. You're going to have to work the action for at least two hours and three will make it smoother. You want all the moving parts to gently wear into each other.

Offline AZ6Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2023, 10:13:42 AM »
For this application I think so. You want to completely fill the action so everything has a grease coating while you work it. Graphite might work but I think it would rub off the moving parts if it wasn't filled. You're going to have to work the action for at least two hours and three will make it smoother. You want all the moving parts to gently wear into each other.

Not powered graphite the old graphite grease that was sold by Gunslick. Hard to find nowadays.