Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Not 'zactly a Colt, but it do have that Ol' West Flavor goin' on.....  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
......my Ruger Super Blackhawk SS in .44RM.
Makes a hell of a lot of noise and kicks like a Kansas mule, even with my 'dumbed-down' handloads...

Note the nice wood on the grips!

Open the gate, George!

And I'm tellin' ya son, it ain't no fun, starin' straight down a .44!

This is all ya need to know, son.....

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Not 'zactly a Colt, but it do have that Ol' West Flavor goin' on.....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »
Nice piece Capt.   I've never had much to do with Rugers.   My son has an old model Vaquero in .44 mag.  It's a lot of fun but sure is a handful when you touch it off.  Problem with guns like the .44 magnums is you need to practice quite a bit with them to be proficient.  I do anyway.  I'd like to see how your Super Blackhawk shoots along side the Vaquero.  They are very similar pistols but I have always liked the target sights like the Blackhawk has.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »
Nice piece Capt.   I've never had much to do with Rugers.   My son has an old model Vaquero in .44 mag.  It's a lot of fun but sure is a handful when you touch it off.  Problem with guns like the .44 magnums is you need to practice quite a bit with them to be proficient.  I do anyway.  I'd like to see how your Super Blackhawk shoots along side the Vaquero.  They are very similar pistols but I have always liked the target sights like the Blackhawk has.
Thanks for the compliments, Mike!
To be honest, you have to work at it to hit what you're aiming at. The recoil is, well.....savage, even with my handloads which are meandering along at an anemic 1080fps...this in comparison to the Remington factory 240gr SP loads, which will loosen the fillings in your teeth.
This thing has so much recoil it bent the front ejector housing screw after knocking it loose...... L@.
Still, if one has to pick a modern ass-whupping with an Olde Tyme flavor, this one fits the bill. *k)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:45:16 AM »
I used to own a blued SBH and  Redhawk, both in 44 Magnum.  My preferred load was one made famous by Elmer Keith, a 250 grain cast SWC over a healthy dose of 2400 powder, sparked to life by a large pistol primer (non magnum).  I don't own or even conspire to own a chronograph so I do not know how fast they went, but they went!  Those Rugers went down the orad to someone who appreciated them more than I do.  So did my M29-2.  I found out the 44 Magnum was not something I needed, preferring the 45 long Colt and the 45 ACP in revolvers.

The SS looks nice and I wish you happiness.  Lots of recipes and bullet molds for that one. 
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 06:50:05 AM »
Hi Captain, I like it!  )k*
The wood grain really looks great on those grips.

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 07:02:51 AM »
Hi Cap'n,

That is a fine 5.5" SS representative of the Super Blackhawk line.  I have been looking about the used gun cases at my LGS's here abouts for a 7.5" barreled blue version for a while now, at least one that they didn't have the same price as a new one from the Bass Pro Shop.  I have a couple of new model Blackhawks in the lesser caliber of .357 Magnum but really want to step up to the "Big Boy" on the block.  I also appreciate the larger grip on the "Super" models, my little finger just sorta dangles off the regular Blackhawks grip so I wind up tucking it up under the bottom.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »
I have had two SBHs in 44 Mag, sold or traded both over the years. The last one went to a buddy who has a cabin in northern Wisconsin and they do lots of canoeing. He had it cut down to 5-1/2" for ease of carrying in bear country. I got to fondle it again last weekend! :'(

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:10:06 PM »
Cap. that's a good lookin shooter! now for a recipe that will prolly adhere it to you for life ... fill that case under your 240 grain lead with 2F or 3F and cap a few of those off. ill say that with that shorter barrel ... they will put the smile back in yer mug. I had opportunity to trade mine off for a Winchester '92' so mine is gone BUT ... if the opportunity presents itself again and I find more bucks then I know what to do with ... ill own another just for the BP shooting. my Vaquero 45 does all I need in the power dept. but the fun factor with BP and the 44RM is a thing to be experienced.
BIGTED

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:48:36 PM »
I had a SS Super Blackhawk 7.5" back in '90 while I was in the Marine Corps. Guess I traded it in on something else though, cant remember!  Just last year I traded my SS Super Blackhawk Non-fluted cylinder, round trigger guard, 4.625" barreled .44 and a .450 Marlin lever action for an original Springfield Trap-Door Rifle. That little sucker was absolutely brutal and hard to hang on to for sure!!!