Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: G.U. marked navy  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
G.U. marked navy
« on: April 16, 2023, 07:05:21 PM »
Would an early G.U. navy have any collector value or are they just shooters? I ask because a friend just picked one up and was thinking of doing a conversion on it.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: G.U. marked navy
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 08:26:35 PM »
Yes, they do have collector value.
I highly recommend your friend pick up a garden variety Pietta for his conversion work. The GU's in good shape are becoming worth more every day.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 01:33:33 AM »
As far as I can tell the Gregorelli & Uberti replicas are among the very first and the best ever made.
It would be a shame to downgrade one.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 01:36:28 AM »
What Ringo said.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 03:41:24 AM »
I have one as well Shootemup. Interesting, my gregorelli/uberti is a 1964 version and it doesn't have the cursive stamped initials like that one. The one I have just has both names fully written out on the barrel. This one looks like it's in great condition.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 04:29:48 AM »
My two cents--yeah, leave that one alone, it looks pretty nice.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 06:45:22 AM »
Smooth cylinder? That's cool.  I'm not much of a 38spl conversion fan so I'd vote sell it ( lol!!) and get a new Uberti  (preferred) / Pietta  Army and convert to 45C  or acp ( or both ! What the heck!!!). The only way I'd go with 38 spl would be with a lined barrel ( and I've actually thought of that lately) but it's a "back burner" item for now.

Mike

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 11:15:27 AM »
I have a first year (1959) of production G.U. Navy. It was in terrible shape when I got it. Not worth much as far as collector value. I heavily modified it into a Dance clone. For me, it enhanced it's value. In your friends case, that looks like a pretty nice gun. But for a collector, he's going to want the box and papers for it to have any real collector value. Otherwise it's just a really cool shooter.

Something else to consider. The G.U. guns aren't the same as more modern Uberti's. They don't have the same dimensions. So converting it will require more than just buying a Kirst cylinder kit and dropping it in. Like Mike says, he's better off either selling the G.U. and buying a new Uberti or just keep the G.U. for it's cool factor and buying an Uberti to convert. Of course all of this is just my .02 worth.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 11:59:31 AM »
It was a G&U that Cap & Ball was hitting targets at 100 meters with.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 06:19:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone I told him when he got it that a Howell type conversion would be the way to go instead of a Kirst style even though they are not as handy. at least then he is not changing the frame from how it is. I need to see if I can trade him out of it anyway (7&

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 10:58:06 AM »
I have that exact same revolver.  Mine is a 1959-60 manufacture,  sold by Navy Arms.  My revolver was a gift from a friend.  He lost almost his entire gun collection due to a house fire.  That particular revolver was dug out of the ashes of the total loss of the house.  The revolver had been in an old handmade leather holster and was soaked from the water the fire department sprayed to put out the fire.  This was in the mid to late 70’s.

The charred holster was cracked off and removed.  The finish on the grips had evaporated basically,  but the wood was fine.  The blueing on the metal was blotchy and burned away to bright metal in many places.  The grain of the leather was burned into one side of the cylinder.

My friend contacted Navy Arms and told them what happened.  He ended up sending two revolvers back to Navy Arms.  One was the 1851 Navy,  and the other was a Walker.  Navy Arms thoroughly checked and completely reconditioned those revolvers.  The damaged bluing on the 1851 Navy was left alone.  This was all done free of charge and returned to my friend. Many years later he gave me both of those revolvers.

About ten years ago I got curious about the 1851 Navy.  I contacted Navy Arms and told them what I had and wanted to know the manufacturing date.  The owner of Navy Arms had recently died.  They had to surrender their sales records to the feds,  so they had no information regarding that revolver.

I received an email from Navy Arms several days later.  They had contacted a retired gunsmith who worked for Navy Arms.  He remembered working on that particular revolver.  He estimated the manufacturing date to be 1959-60.  I thanked the Navy Arms employee who helped me.  In return,  she sent me all the available spare parts they had left in stock for both the 1851 Navy and the Walker for free.  I was told Navy was moving away from the black powder revolver business.

My 1851 Navy is a great shooter.  I wouldn’t part with it.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 11:01:32 AM »
Why did they have to surrender bp records?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 11:37:31 AM »
It's funny how the "earliest" reproduction  revolvers were "the best"  yet the earlier they are that come through the shop are the WORST examples of the originals!!  (7+"

The Uberti examples of late are by far better than any ASM  '70's/80's  examples I've seen  to date!  The wedges are hard, the contours and build are much better, parts are in the stratosphere.  .  . 
It seems the "closer" anybody gets to the originals,  the more folks think the "firsts" were THE bees knees!!

I understand the "collector" but comparing today's  offerings to the "firsts" is rather amusing!!
Maybe I need some kind of enlightening?

Mike

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 12:12:12 PM »
Early ASM's were better than later ones. Later ones had lousy QC. Pietta's from the 60's, 70's were better than todays from an originality standpoint alone. I've got one made in 76 that beats a new one all the way around.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 05:33:22 PM »
Hawg, 

The lady I was in contact with at Navy Arms told me that was the normal(?) thing that happens since the owner had died. The feds requested or required they turn in all of their records.  I took that as a ‘surrender’ your records.   :icon_scratch: