Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Original 1860 army  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Original 1860 army
« on: April 17, 2023, 09:26:21 AM »
Had a request from a friend. His original Colt 1860 Army is exhibiting throw by when cocked normally but when slowly cocked the bolt drops in and locks up. A quick look(we were at a Cowboy Match) showed there is no damage to the cylinder notches but without breaking things down I couldn't look at the bolt head. I'm assuming it's a weak bolt/trigger spring as the timing seams OK. I'm sure this guy has never had the gun apart and it looks to be in cared for condition. I hesitated to take a
 look as this guy believes replacement parts should be free(I have a box of springs) but I've never had an original 1860 apart and am curious. I was still undecided until he threw in, for a fair price, a recently acquired Euroarms Rogers & Spencer. A little surface rust on the barrel but the bore looks good. I will pick up the guns at next months Cowboy Shoot as I cannot turn down a Rogers & Spencer. Will report on what I find.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Original 1860 army
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 09:30:07 AM »
Good trade! You will love the R&S. Trust me.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 10:49:16 AM »
I do trust you Captainkirk, I already have five Rogers & Spencers but things must come in pairs!! :cowboypistol: This guy also shamelessly waived an original Rogers & Spencer in my face in true villiainous fashion!
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 11:06:14 AM »
You're getting an R&S for a little gunsmithing work? That's a fantastic trade!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 02:19:21 PM »
No Dave, not for free but his asking price is very fair and I'm willing to pay it. Lets see next month at the Cowboy Shoot if he keeps his word.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 02:41:42 PM »
Had a request from a friend. His original Colt 1860 Army is exhibiting throw by when cocked normally but when slowly cocked the bolt drops in and locks up. A quick look(we were at a Cowboy Match) showed there is no damage to the cylinder notches but without breaking things down I couldn't look at the bolt head. I'm assuming it's a weak bolt/trigger spring as the timing seams OK. I'm sure this guy has never had the gun apart and it looks to be in cared for condition. I hesitated to take a
 look as this guy believes replacement parts should be free(I have a box of springs) but I've never had an original 1860 apart and am curious. I was still undecided until he threw in, for a fair price, a recently acquired Euroarms Rogers & Spencer. A little surface rust on the barrel but the bore looks good. I will pick up the guns at next months Cowboy Shoot as I cannot turn down a Rogers & Spencer. Will report on what I find.

Maybe reread your post. It's not exactly clear what's going on but I gather you're buying two guns?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 09:35:38 AM »

Maybe reread your post. It's not exactly clear what's going on but I gather you're buying two guns?

Thanks Hawg. I'm a bit confused as well.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 01:18:53 PM »
Sorry for the confusion. Hope this helps. This guy wants me to work on his original 1860 Army. I started to decline as mentioned this guy wants everything done for free. He stopped me from walking away by showing me a Euroarms Rogers & Spencer and offering it for sale. He knows I like them and that was his way of talking me into fixing the 1860 Army. While I did a quick exam of the Euroarms model, he also pulls out an original Rogers & Spencer just to show me. So I am probably going to buy the Euroarms Rogers & Spencer but will have to at least examine his 1860 Army by taking it home determine the problem. One other thing. A while ago he told me he had a Euroarms Rogers & Spencer that Tom Ball had worked over and with which he shot in NSSA matches, describing its accuracy. Is the gun he is offering me the one Tom Ball worked on? I did notice someone had tapered the sides of the top of the front sight, similar to a Remington, on the Euroarms model he wants to sell me. This guy is older and starting to get a bit forgetful. Either way I hope to buy the Euroarms Rogers & Spencer and hopefully get his original Colt 1860 Army sorted out.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 01:51:49 PM »
OK now that makes sense. I was like  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: It would be cool to get one Tom worked over.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 07:20:20 AM »
I think I've seen that Tom Ball R&S bandied about the interwebs on other forums. If it's the same one, it looked pretty nice.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 08:27:43 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Navy. Totally understand now.

Weren't the Tom Ball guns marked by him in some manner? I remember reading something about them.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 09:22:19 AM »
 I only got a 30 second inspection of the Rogers & Spencer because the Cowboy match was about to start. I was not aware that Mr. Ball marked his work and I will try to do a little research. It would be nice if this is a Tom Ball gun but I will like to acquire it either way.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 10:02:43 AM »
I only got a 30 second inspection of the Rogers & Spencer because the Cowboy match was about to start. I was not aware that Mr. Ball marked his work and I will try to do a little research. It would be nice if this is a Tom Ball gun but I will like to acquire it either way.

Yes, they have become quite the collector items since Euroarms folded. I was lucky to snatch mine up when I did.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2023, 01:32:05 PM »
OK, from what I've been able to gather, Tom Ball would mark the underside of the barrel only when a full blown accuracy job was done that included a barrel swap. If he didn't change the barrel, the guns were not marked. I hope I'm not distributing any misinformation.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 06:19:08 AM »
Navy Six.. Just curious, are you going to work on his 1860 for free or is he going to cut you a deal on the Euroarms? You did mention he likes "free" stuff.  :usa-flag-89: