Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Original 1860 army  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Re: Original 1860 army
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 08:32:20 AM »
Zulch, I've yet to make up my mind. If I have to replace any parts I will charge him for that at least. Last year he gave me a 1st gen SAA with a dangerous trigger pull of well under a pound and pleaded with me to look at it. I spent a week on that gun carefully re-cutting the full cock notch and changing the contact point on the trigger sear. The hammer cam was chewed up a bit and most of the internals needed polishing to clean things up. I provided him with a long written list of everything I found for his future reference as this was an original Colt. When I returned the gun to him it was kind of no big deal and no offer was made. I make no claims to being a gunsmith but I have been working on Single Actions for more than 40 years as a labor of love. I never charge my friends as I am happy to help out if I can, but I don't like being played. I don't want to sound like sour grapes so I will have to wait a couple more weeks till I see him at the next Cowboy Match to see what happens.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 09:59:17 AM »
Zulch, I've yet to make up my mind. If I have to replace any parts I will charge him for that at least. Last year he gave me a 1st gen SAA with a dangerous trigger pull of well under a pound and pleaded with me to look at it. I spent a week on that gun carefully re-cutting the full cock notch and changing the contact point on the trigger sear. The hammer cam was chewed up a bit and most of the internals needed polishing to clean things up. I provided him with a long written list of everything I found for his future reference as this was an original Colt. When I returned the gun to him it was kind of no big deal and no offer was made. I make no claims to being a gunsmith but I have been working on Single Actions for more than 40 years as a labor of love. I never charge my friends as I am happy to help out if I can, but I don't like being played. I don't want to sound like sour grapes so I will have to wait a couple more weeks till I see him at the next Cowboy Match to see what happens.
Navy Six, I understand. You don’t sound like sour grapes to me. That’s very nice of you to help your friend out. It sounds as if you really enjoy working on guns. Sounds fun to me.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 05:32:34 PM »
Helping friends is quite understandable and an admirable trait. We try to foster that sort of attitude around here and I've had some unbelievable favors done by some of our members.
There is a gray area though, between helping a friend and being taken advantage of. As long as you're aware of that area and where it is, all's good!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2023, 06:53:38 PM »
I only got a 30 second inspection of the Rogers & Spencer because the Cowboy match was about to start. I was not aware that Mr. Ball marked his work and I will try to do a little research. It would be nice if this is a Tom Ball gun but I will like to acquire it either way. The front sight is like a Remington but it is very tall.

Dicky Dalton bought one a couple of years ago. They are marked. He used Hoyt barrels. The front sight is like a Remington but is very tall.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:03:06 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2023, 04:58:36 AM »
Thanks Hawg! That is how I remember the front sight looked but again it was a quick inspection. My eyes went right to that area due to a lenght of surface rust on the barrel but the rest of the bluing looked OK. Now I am anxious to see exactly what this guy has.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 05:05:06 AM by Navy Six »
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton