Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Shooters World Multi Purpose Black  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
Shooters World Multi Purpose Black
« on: April 18, 2023, 03:58:09 AM »
Powder Valley has some of this in stock.

"Shooters World Multi-Purpose Black (FFF) Sulfurless Muzzleloading Powder
This powder if perfect for Hunters and Cowboy Action Shooters. For use in Muzzleloaders and Black Powder Cartridges, this powder is clean, powerful, dependable and accurate! Moisture resistant and virtually non-corrosive.

This Black Powder substitute is made in America for Shooters World by American Pioneer Powder."

Anybody use it?  I personally have enough real black to get me through the year, but I'm curious.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Shooters World Multi Purpose Black
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 05:51:58 AM »
No, I've got enough real black to last me for a few years. It really doesn't interest me anyway. Virtually non corrosive means it's corrosive to some extent. You will still have to clean like you do for bp.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 06:33:34 AM »
This is the same as Black MZ powder sold by Aliant.     Google "Black MZ",   the description s identical.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 06:45:16 AM »
This is the same as Black MZ powder sold by Aliant.     Google "Black MZ",   the description s identical.

Hi Mike,

I agree. I mostly use Black MZ in my cap ignition firearms. However, Black MZ isn't very good in flintlocks, due to ignition delays. Nice to see that this product is again available.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 12:50:27 PM »
When I keep hearing that the black powder market is small. I wonder why there continues to be a number of substitutes offered. When Hodgdon gave their excuses about Goex last year and was real quick to offer a sub, it really kind of turned me off. I understand how it may be difficult to obtain real black powder in some locations. No one has it locally near me so I just order a case at a time and it comes to my door. I can justify that because I almost completely abandoned smokeless and I do a lot of Cowboy Shooting so the powder gets used up. I just don't like how the substitute manufactures tout their product as better than real black powder in every way. No criticism intended to those who choose to try a sub for whatever reason, but I just don't have any interest in them.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 12:55:33 PM »
When I keep hearing that the black powder market is small. I wonder why there continues to be a number of substitutes offered. When Hodgdon gave their excuses about Goex last year and was real quick to offer a sub, it really kind of turned me off. I understand how it may be difficult to obtain real black powder in some locations. No one has it locally near me so I just order a case at a time and it comes to my door. I can justify that because I almost completely abandoned smokeless and I do a lot of Cowboy Shooting so the powder gets used up. I just don't like how the substitute manufactures tout their product as better than real black powder in every way. No criticism intended to those who choose to try a sub for whatever reason, but I just don't have any interest in them.

Honestly, it's because most people these days shooting "black powder", aren't.
They are shooting and hunting with so-called 'modern muzzleloaders' and are not interested in history or historical firearms.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 02:10:40 PM »
They are shooting and hunting with so-called 'modern muzzleloaders' and are not interested in history or historical firearms.

I think you're right in most cases.  Some use subs because they can't get real black for whatever reason. I used Pyrodex for years because I couldn't afford to get real black. I've got about eight pounds of different brands of real black now so I'm set for a little while. When I run out I'll go back to Pyrodex. It's about the same power as Swiss and it's the closest chemically to real black. I know some of y'all don't like it(Hi Richard)but it works for me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 07:18:09 AM »

I think you're right in most cases.  Some use subs because they can't get real black for whatever reason. I used Pyrodex for years because I couldn't afford to get real black. I've got about eight pounds of different brands of real black now so I'm set for a little while. When I run out I'll go back to Pyrodex. It's about the same power as Swiss and it's the closest chemically to real black. I know some of y'all don't like it(Hi Richard)but it works for me.
I shot nothing but Pyrodex for years for the same reasons, Hawg. Now I have enough real black to last a few seasons so I'll be shooting that, but if in became unobtanium again, I'd have no problem using subs. But I'd rather not.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 07:24:06 AM »
I'd rather not either but being on a fixed income.... At least now I'm not paying most of the bills and upkeep on that big azz house I wasn't living in when I was working. (7+"