Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Another Hombre in The Mix  (Read 5464 times)

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
Another Hombre in The Mix
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »
Hi All,

I have long wanted to get a Colt SAA of some sort and when the Bass Pro Shop opened up here in Las Vegas I was pleasantly surprised to find a Uberti Hombre for just under $300.  It was in the traditional .45 Colt caliber which just tickled me even more.  Although I had to purchase a set of dies and shell holder I got the Lee Die set which comes with the needed shell holder in the box.  I like to make my own leather up, yes I am a Tandy junkie, the lady that owns the store here knows me on a first name basis as well as my credit card number.  I have made a couple of them over the years I have owned the revolver, sold the first one and made a second that I like a lot better.

The current Belt and Holster is completely lined, sports 24 cartridge loops and is quite comfortable to wear for the day.  I have worn it out and about in the desert when hunting yodel dogs and even took one that had the temerity to get about twenty yards close with the .45.  Of course, that made the rest of them shy off for a good while.  But being yodel dogs they eventually let their curiosity get the better of them when being serenaded by my dying rabbit call.  I also have a Belt and Holster set that I made up for my short barrel Sheriff's model 1858 Remington with Powder Flask holder and bullet pouch.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Another Hombre in The Mix
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
Very nice rig. Dad and I used to do Tandy leather work, but that's got to be at least 50 years ago. Never made a holster rig (no guns for me back then), but belts wallets and other simple stuff. I like your work. Looks nice. Thanks for the pics. )k*
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 07:46:19 AM »
Thanks Kaboom,

I have been tinkering with leather since I was a youngster, there was an old guy back home who was confined to a wheel chair from a service related disability who made all the leather stuff for the local lawmen in those parts.  He got me started and off and on over the years I have carried on with it, mostly when required.  I have made a few things that go well with black powder like bullet or ball pouches.

Cap pouches or for other small items.

Shotgun Buttstock Sleeves

Powder Flask holders.

And of course, holsters of all sorts and descriptions.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:30:46 AM »
You do good work! I have made or modified a few holsters for my own use, but only have a couple that I am really proud of....and those are pretty simple ones.

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »
They are all good looking, and look very serviceable. My compliments. )k*
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:42:41 PM »
I love them holsters on the last photo man!  And I love the good ole Hombre as well!  Wife and I each have one of em chambered in .357, and couldn't be happier with em.
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Those last two holsters are for my original 1851 Colt Navy .36.  I have to make up a left hand one in the double loop Mexican style tooled to match the one on the right for the newer .44 Navy I have now.  The bullet pouch, cap pouch and powder flask holder I have for the .36 will also share the belt, though I will have to make another bullet pouch for the larger caliber.  I thought about making a set up to carry both of them cross draw, ala Wild Bill Hickok but his were ivory handled and I prefer a regular draw so that let me out of that idea. :)

I went with my Ruger Blackhawks in .357, they offer the ability to get serious with the caliber that the older design just can't deal with.  But I still love the heck out of my Hombre.  It has a little more generous grip than the Blackhawks do, my little finger has to crowd up tight to get any sort of purchase on the Blackhawks, not so with the Hombre.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 08:38:38 PM »
regarding those last two holsters, what did you use to get that great deep brown antique finish?  That looks so authentic late 1800's it's unreal! )Y%

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
Hi Dave,

It is a combination of what Tandy calls Bison Brown and Saddle Tan in their Cova Dye Brand of Dyes.  I experimented around with the colors until I struck upon a combination that looks right to my eyes.  The one on the left is considerably older than the double loop Mexican styled holster having been worn out and about on lots of trails with me.  But as you can see the effect is quite repeatable, the only difference being a lot of time out and about in the weather. 

I enjoy taking my 1851 Colt Navy .36 out when I go shooting with friends.  While they may have the advantage of modern sights and smokeless powder, nothing beats experience and familiarity with a specific handgun.  That old 1851 Colt Navy has shown quite a few younger whippersnappers that a lead ball and some black powder can be just as good as their fancy new .44 caliber super whizbang, especially if they haven't ridden the trails over the years with the same one. )k*
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 03:55:15 AM »
Sweet!  I have a pretty good love for ole Tandy myself, we always order from them, and if the store in Austin has a big sale, we usually try to hit it.  I also like introducing people i meet on the range to the joys of percussion revolvers.  I can't even tell the difference between any of the new plastic Smiths, Glocks, etc., and honestly, when i first came in the Army we had the old 1911's, and I did used to own a stainless AMT Hardballer 1911, but I never cared for them. 

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 07:55:57 AM »
Hi Dave,

With the exception of my Ruger P series pistols which are my daily carry firearms, I am just flat enamored with single actions.  I have a ball with the black powder Colt reproductions and my Remington 1858 Sheriff's model when ever I go out shooting.  They always find a place in my pistol box along with a generous supply of Pyrodex and Goex, along with the appropriate projectiles.  When I get done exercising all the cartridge firearms out comes the older versions and the fun begins.  When I go to the local range the range master makes sure that I get shuffled off to the far end of the line as he knows that there will be large clouds of smoke generated.  One of the reasons I will spend the extra money for gas to go out to the desert to shoot more often than not.

The concussion of a large bore rifle like my T/C Renegade in .54 makes folks stop and look to see just what cannon went off, wondering if they should grab a fire extinguisher and come to the rescue on account of all that smoke.  Taking a fast five with the .36 or .44 and ringing the gong at 25 yards like it was a bell also makes them pay attention. 

These are my favorite three firearms.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!