Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Old vs. new brass frame reproductions  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
Re: Old vs. new brass frame reproductions
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2023, 01:49:29 PM »
Today is Thursday and yes, I went to the range to test my new 1858 Navy brasser.
Using a two hand hold, at 10 yrds, I got a 3 inch grouping, 3 inches to the right and 6 inches low.  Now to file gradually and carefully the front sight until it hits bulls eye.  For windage I'll have to tap the front sight to the right a miniscule amount.

I used about 36 cartridges I had made, with 15 gr of FFF.  Because the frame is the same as the .44 Army, the ram, that was originally a .44 ram, is reduced at the tip to .33" for only .42", and using only 15 gr of BP plus a wax/crisco, the travel of the ram is marginal on pushing the ball all the way down.  Later on, I loaded 18 gr and that gave enough fill in the chambers to counter the limitation of the ram.

Am I happy with it?  yes and no.  Because it is a .44 Army frame, the Navy weighs (2lbs 13oz), more than my .44 Army (2lbs 11 oz).  That's a bummer.  I think I'll have to get the Colt 1851 Navy, that I presume weighs less (If somebody may provide the answer, I would appreciate it).

On the positive side, it is a precise shooter.  I just have to make it accurate too.

It is a keeper.

Now comes the task of washing it :(

By the way, I pushed in a ball into one of the chambers, and then pushed it out an gave me a diameter of .3670".  (I'll have to get a set of internal diameter gauges for the future).

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2023, 06:30:23 PM »
You can always use 2F powder to keep the pressures a bit lower. Not sure if that would alter accuracy?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2023, 06:40:28 PM »
You can always use 2F powder to keep the pressures a bit lower. Not sure if that would alter accuracy?

I don't see any difference
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2023, 03:31:54 PM »
Why do guys even buy contra-historic brass guns, especially those forty-fours?  I don’t get it.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2023, 04:43:22 PM »
Why do guys even buy contra-historic brass guns, especially those forty-fours?  I don’t get it.

Some don't care but most I think don't know any better.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2023, 07:24:23 PM »

Some buy them for the cost savings, some because they like the way they look. Some for both reasons, probably. To each his own.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2023, 03:15:45 AM »
Hello Steamburn,

You could add a filler, that way you would be able to seat your ball a little more consistently.
I've been using Biodegradable Packaging Peanuts in my .45 Colt Cartridges, but they probably won't work in a paper cartridge.
Maybe some dried coffee grounds, or Cream of Wheat.

Just a thought, AntiqueSledMan.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 03:21:47 AM by AntiqueSledMan »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2023, 08:31:15 PM »
Hello Steamburn,

You could add a filler, that way you would be able to seat your ball a little more consistently.
I've been using Biodegradable Packaging Peanuts in my .45 Colt Cartridges, but they probably won't work in a paper cartridge.

Just a thought, AntiqueSledMan.

Cream of Wheat has been the old standby for eons.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2023, 09:30:41 PM »

Mine was given to me. I like the ring of 40+ grains, a brasser is not for me, and I will regift this soon.

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2023, 04:56:34 PM »
Navy6,
" .....but using pin gauges....."
I had no idea what ping gauges are, so I researched and learned something new.  They are amazing but too much tool for my needs.
The set of pin gauges from .25" to .50" costs about $125.  An alternative I found is to use Small Hole Ball Gauges.  Got a set for $14.00 in Amazon.  I think that will be more then enough for my present and future needs.  (I do have a regular vernier gauge and also a 0-1" caliper gauge to complement the ball gauges).

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2023, 05:01:08 PM »
GDog,
I agree with you, but my intention is to shoot the heck out of it to see if the brassers are as bad as they say.
This is a .36 cal, so I think I might be for a very long run until it starts failing.

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2023, 05:06:19 PM »
Hello Steamburn,

And to AntiqueSledMan,
I keep my wax/crisco cockies in Cream of Wheat so they don't stick to each other.
Next time I will add a small amount of Cream of Wheat to my loads, maybe a 5 gr volume equivalent over the BP and see how it goes.
Thank you for the tip.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2023, 08:39:15 PM »
Steam - your projected testing of that .36 brass frame should dispel some myths or confirm a very hard truth. Turning your piece into a lab mouse / crash test dummy could be risky to  the guns well-being. If you’re game we’re all about it. Likely to produce some interesting results though.  Good luck and keep us in the loop.

When I use filler CoW (George) is the go-to.  Has a similar grain as powder.  Won’t compress much so get it right the first time. Corn meal is too oily.  Packing peanuts are not a part of my life.  Plastic?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle