General Black Powder > Wads, Lubes, Patches, Cleaning Supplies, etc

A little more on soy wax

(1/3) > >>

Navy Six:
I used to favor lube cookies when loading black powder cartridges used at Cowboy Matches. Theory was for extended shooting over an entire Match to reduce fouling issues. Since I like to experiment, I recently loaded up some 45 Colt and 45 S&W cartridges(using 28 grs and 24 grs of 3F Swiss), Accurate Molds 45-195B, with the remainder of the cases filled with straight soy wax beads. After shooting all 50 rounds through an Uberti 1860 Army/Kirst cylinder conversion, I found the results interesting. First, there was a large, very wet lube star at the muzzle. Also the bore had less fouling than I would have expected and in fact was pretty clear of heavy powder residue. These results were good enough to encourage me to continue trying these soy wax beads in my percussion pistols, as one of our members, Lyle, reported on a while ago.
I did a little research and found there is more than one soy wax. Two specific types were mentioned, 444 and 464, with 444 having a higher melting temperature. My bag of beads didn't distinguish what it contained. The convenience was the fact there was nothing to mix if you can use the beads in that form.

Miguel Loco:
Great info! Thanks for sharing it!

mike116:
Navy Six,       did you use a card wad or anything between powder and the soy wax?     I use lube cookies in BP cartridges (both paper and brass).   Using wax beads as filler and lube seems like an easy, simple idea.   If the card wad is not necessary that would eliminate another component that has to be made and added to the loading process.

Steamburn:
NavySix,
Excellent!
May you please reveal where did you purchase the soy beads?  I want to give it a try.
Thanks.

G Dog:
Blackie Thomas in his Percussion Revolver Series uses those soy beads in his making of paper carts.  He just puts about five or so on top of the powder,  then a ball and twists it closed.  He calls the beads pearls.  I’ve tried that and also by using thin shavings of bee’s wax.  It seems to work pretty well.  Those are the only ways I know of getting lube inside a cig paper cart without contaminating the powder and/or wrecking the paper.

Does wax of itsself act as a lube and fouling softener?

Captain from ten years ago:

“Then 8-10 Tablespoons of Olive Oil/soy oil
The Olive oil is the Lube the Waxes just carry it and keep the pill as
you want it.(consistacey/hard or soft...climate time).”

https://coltcountryforum.com/index.php/topic,194.msg715.html#msg715

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version