Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta/Uberti 1851 shootout  (Read 1462 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Pietta/Uberti 1851 shootout
« on: June 15, 2023, 05:11:19 AM »
Hi, a Pietta/Uberti 1851 shootout:

Mike's comments about the Uberti short arbor will put some of us in orbit.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Pietta/Uberti 1851 shootout
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 06:24:17 AM »
Hi, a Pietta/Uberti 1851 shootout:

Mike's comments about the Uberti short arbor will put some of us in orbit.

Regards,
Richard

Well, I guess if you gotta stay relevant you call bs on a known "build" defect .  .  .  especially if it beats the one that is built "correct" from the factory ( it's probably a new enough one). Definitely a good way to stir the pot !   (7+"

Funny that my experience led to chewed up wedges and material displacement just shooting  loose powder and ball  in the 70's - 90's.  Of course I shot max charges in my Walkers/ Dragoons  and Armys .  .  .  didn't know you were supposed to add "breakfast cereal" back then  .  .  . with lighter loads ( I did throw in a felt wad most of the time).  Point being, the low pressure, slow burning  bp STILL allowed the damage  to my revolvers back then ( we didn't know about the arbor problem then,  just thought it was cheap Italian guns and parts) with soft lead balls / conicals!!!

Fast forward to learning about the fairly simple fix for the "built-in" defect and like magic,  the damage  stops!!! Evan when using  smokeless powder  cartridges, in conversion cylinders .  .  .  pushing 230gr FMJ  out with 23K  psi behind um !!! Not to mention,  same "non-destruction" with 250gr
 Hornady JHP's  with same psi out of my Dragoons.
Of course,  I'm shooting these loads in my revolvers to test the OT platform but results are results and you can call it bs if you want to  .  .  .  I know better .  Just being honest.

Mike

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 10:31:38 AM »
Windbag.

The guns, by his own admission, aren't equal. His "test" is completely flawed. And Richard is right, his short arbor comments are absurd.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 11:58:18 AM »
Windbag.

The guns, by his own admission, aren't equal. His "test" is completely flawed. And Richard is right, his short arbor comments are absurd.
You're completely right. A correct test would be of two out of the box pistols. At least you'd have a comparison of them as they leave the factory. Even better would be a comparison of two that have been gone over completely to correct any problems, and with the same improvements, if any. If nothing else, you'd have two super slicked up pistols.

There are a bunch of people who feel the same way he does about the Uberti short arbor. I think it's because they don't want to admit there's an issue. Californians have a unique way of addressing the earthquake issue. They don't have a solution so they simply ignore it. This is probably similar.

Some guys shorten the wedge so it only goes in so far. That's kind of like taking aspirin because a brain tumor is causing headaches.

It's almost like they have a deep seated fear of admitting there even is something that needs to be addressed.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 01:00:17 PM »
Yep, denial.  One of the most used of the many defense mechanisms.  Whether it be about earthquakes or short arbors, people use it all the time.  What does Uberti have to say about short arbors?  Are they in denial too?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 01:40:45 PM »
Yep, denial.  One of the most used of the many defense mechanisms.  Whether it be about earthquakes or short arbors, people use it all the time.  What does Uberti have to say about short arbors?  Are they in denial too?

Uberti doesn't see it as a problem. They see it as an adjustable cylinder gap.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 07:04:09 PM »

Uberti doesn't see it as a problem. They see it as an adjustable cylinder gap.

This^^^^^^^^^^. It's even in the owner's manual for my RM. Ludicrous.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 01:29:42 AM »
You're absolutely right Cap.!  Cimarron even has a video showing how to "adjust" the wedge! (how to loosen the main structure!!  (7+")

Mike

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2023, 06:37:45 PM »
You're absolutely right Cap.!  Cimarron even has a video showing how to "adjust" the wedge! (how to loosen the main structure!!  (7+")

Mike

I often wonder if someone in the company hierarchy actually believes it, or if they've told the lie so many times it's become reality to them?
Anyone who has ever shimmed a Uberti short arbor in the Goon fashion becomes instantly aware of how correct Goon is in his practices. And you can even watch your groups tighten up.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"