Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What Are Your Favorite Leather Tools?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
What Are Your Favorite Leather Tools?
« on: June 24, 2023, 11:46:11 AM »
All of us have certain tools that just work right. Every time we pick them up, they feel like nothing else. Some may even have other positive associations.

My top 5 are as shown in the photo below. From left to right they are:

1) My main leather knife. When I worked for Charlie Miller in his saddle shop, I copied the knife he made many years prior. I wore it all the time in the shop. It is made from an old power hacksaw blade with shoe sole material from the local boot repair shop for grips. It not only does more than any other knife I've had but it reminds me of Charlie, who taught me how to really work leather and inspired me to make my own tools. The belt sheath is the first project I made with it.

2) A 4 oz mallet I made for tooling leather. It's made from a 3" piece of 1-1/2" round UHMW and a handle I turned on my drill press from a piece of axe handle. A full 90% of my stamping is done with this little gem.

3) A #3 edge beader, one of the very first tools I bought when I first started tooling leather, a few years before I even started working in the saddle shop. I use this on most cowboy leather items I make. There are other sizes in my tool box but this one is the one I like best.

4) My 7/16" Hackbarth swivel knife. I have other swivel knives, several with bearings like this has, but this one is the smoothest and easiest to use. The diameter is super comfortable for my hand. It just feels 'right'.

5) The latest of my favorites. After years of going without finding a good knife for skiving, this one fills the bill. It is made from an old circular saw blade I had. It can shave off the slightest bit of leather precisely and easily.

So what are your favorite ones?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 02:21:09 PM by Marshal Will »

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
Re: What Are Your Favorite Leather Tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 02:27:09 PM »
Mine is my iPhone, and then I use it to dial Mike. I feel that as much as I would enjoy this hobby, I barely have time for shooting, let alone adding anything else to it.

For release, I pick up my DSLR err, Mirrorless, and go shoot things. Way cheaper than Ammo, and I smile as my screensaver plays.

I tip my hat and have mad appreciation for those of that can mold dead skin into works of art.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 09:08:05 PM »
My wife says that I am her favorite leather tool.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 05:03:32 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good one Mike.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 06:38:26 AM »
Sometimes it's good to be used, eh?

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 08:32:02 AM »
I almost hate to add anything here because I just started leather projects, but so far I've been able to make my cleanest cuts with a Husky brand box cutter I got from Home Depot. It is a combination cutter/knife with a wood handle that feels comfortable in my hand.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 11:06:58 AM »
I almost hate to add anything here because I just started leather projects, but so far I've been able to make my cleanest cuts with a Husky brand box cutter I got from Home Depot. It is a combination cutter/knife with a wood handle that feels comfortable in my hand.
Nothing to hesitate about, there. Whatever works is the right one. My first leather knife was an old worn-out linoleum knife. Yours is quite a step better than that was, and it was my go-to until I went to work at the saddle shop. The big turning point for me was when I started using a knife that cut going away from me rather than pulling it towards myself. I was able to work faster and more accurately plus I got cut a lot less after that. :happy0008:

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 11:08:50 AM »
Navy Six,    my go to cutter is an angled carpet knife that takes utility blades also bought at Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ROBERTS-Big-Fatso-Multipurpose-Utility-Knife-with-Quick-Blade-Change-10-218F/303068525
Not my favorite knife but I use it a lot.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 11:21:35 AM »
There you go, N6, you're right in there with that cutter.

Mike, I like that yours stores extra blades in the handle. It looks like curved blades are also available for it.