Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Colt Collectors Board  (Read 7252 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Colt Collectors Board
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
There are, they say, three types of BP Colt owners:
1) Those that Collect
2) Those that shoot
3) Those that collect AND shoot
WHAT!!? You are asking...you mean there are folks who own BP Colts and DON'T shoot 'em?
Well...in a nutshell...yep.
Some of you collectors have some of the most beautiful and valuable Colts in the world, and they've never seen a grain of black powder and may never. Now, before you boys go get a rope and start looking for a tree branch; think about this. These non-shooting fellers have just as much right to own and enjoy their iron as us shooters do. Just because they don't burn powder in 'em ain't a hangin' offense in my book. In fact, if we be real nice to them, they might even share some pictures with us!
Now, when I say "collecting", what I mean is this: If you ever bought a Colt Army because you already had a Navy, you might be a collector. If you ever bought a shorty-"sheriff" G&G because you already had the long-barreled version...again, you just could be a collector. If you own more than three Colts, no doubt about it. You ARE a collector! Collections can go by theme (Guns of the South), family tree (Walker, Whitneyville, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Dragoon), Timeline (Paterson through 1873) or something as simple as grabbing whatever Colt strikes your fancy at the moment and making THAT your collection! Some of you may have Collections Within Collections! Well, this be the spot to talk about collecting Colts. Naturally, this board will be pretty worthless without a boatload of pictures, so even if you've posted 'em in another section, post 'em here with the descriptions of your collections. These guns don't have to be 'nuttin' fancy' but if ya got 'em, show 'em! Especially you guys with the cased sets!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:33:57 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Colt Collectors Board
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
OK, I'll get it started.  Here are some of my 2nd Gen Cases sets:

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
That is some collection, my friend.  VERY nice.   *?.
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 05:25:52 PM »
I would say......Breathtaking L@.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
Fingers...those are most amazing. Must have taken a lifetime of watching and waiting for the right bargain. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you like em. 

OK.............. I've shown you mine - need to see yours.

Actually Kirk, it didn't take that long to acquire.  You just gotta check auction sites condstantly
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »
Actually Kirk, it didn't take that long to acquire.  You just gotta check auction sites condstantly

I do....but they kinda frown upon you bidding without the benjamins to back it up..... ;)

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »

I do....but they kinda frown upon you bidding without the benjamins to back it up..... ;)

That could be a problem  :-*

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 10:16:27 PM »

That could be a problem  :-*

Only when you win. :o

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 03:59:06 AM »
I reckon we all are collectors in one fashion or another.  I do collect Colt repros, as well as shoot them and carry them for self defense, but I guess I could not be considered a classic "Colt" collector, since none of them are actually original Colt firearms.  In my blue collar existence, repro has to be good enuff, lol!
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »
Not a thing wrong with repos Dave.  I've got a few of them as well.  When you want a collection of Confederate revolvers, repos are the only way to go unless you're Bill gates or someone with his $$$

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »
Getting them, timing, right sources, persistance and ,  how to pay for tem?,  as someone here in the forum, or was it somewhere else?  said,-

Well thought out and sound retirement plan?  Something like this.