Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Main & Winchester Rig  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Main & Winchester Rig
« on: July 04, 2023, 12:43:24 PM »
I decided a good way to spend a couple hours on the 4th of July was to start a new holster. I still have time to do a BBQ this afternoon. This new holster is a copy of an 1860-ish Main & Winchester. The pattern I had made already, including a new belt loop pattern since M&W made theirs different than the pattern I generally use. This holster has an interesting asymmetrical trigger cutout. It was fun to play with to get to look right. There's less taper to the toe so I had to make that part much wider than any pattern I already have, almost stovepipe in shape. It's also an open toe so it'll be a little different than many I've made. It'll fit anything, though. This morning I cut the leather and did the decorative work on it. To make my too small makers stamp bigger, I ran a border tool around it. It still is a bit undersized but at least it looks OK. Now the pieces are drying.

The original:

What I have so far (including part of the belt that will go with it):

Happy Independence Day, Pards!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 09:47:25 PM by Marshal Will »

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Re: Main & Winchester Rig
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 01:41:40 PM »
Nice holsters and thanks for making them OPENED TOED )l_ :usa-flag-89: (7& BTW, how wide did you make the strip for the belt loop?
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 01:45:48 PM »
I figured you'd like that. Actually you can thank Main & Winchester for the open toe. A lot of their designs were that way.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 10:50:43 AM »
Great work! Been over 100 in the garage the past while. Too hot for me to enjoy leatherwork. So thanks for posting these pics. I always learn something from you....it's appreciated.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 11:19:28 AM »
Hi Marshal,
is that a left side/left hand holster, or a right hand with butt forward, or both ???
I suppose a left hand cross draw would have something like a 22 degrees angle on the belt loop ???

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 11:42:04 AM »
Thanks, Mick. Much appreciated. Yeah, 100+ isn't conducive to working on anything.

Hi Len, the original is a left strong side holster but it could be worn right side butt forward, too. The one I'm making is the reverse of that.

On a side note, I don't have the patience to wait 160+ years for the leather to darken so I'm thinking of going with a medium brown. Probably what the original will look like in another 200 years.  :happy0008:

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 02:49:18 PM »
The dye took darker than I expected so make it the color the original would be in another 500 years beyond that. (7+"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 10:14:56 PM »
That original is in very nice shape. I'm sure yours will turn out very well even if the color is off from the original.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 06:34:21 AM »
That original is in very nice shape. I'm sure yours will turn out very well even if the color is off from the original.
You're right about it being in great shape. It must have been well taken care of. The color is good and I wasn't trying to duplicate the original color anyway. It'll be a fine rig.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2023, 10:51:54 AM »
The holster is done and it came out good. I used a hammer handle to round out the toe. I'm pleased with it. Other than a couple minor adjustments to the pattern, it's good to go. I'll make those changes to my pattern and have it ready should I make another one.

When the the belt is done and I get an overcast day for good lighting, I'll post a good photo of it.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2023, 10:57:19 AM »
Looks beautiful Marshal!!

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 02:21:25 PM »
Thanks, Z. I finished up the belt and will get a good photo as soon as I have some decent lighting. Right now, the light is too stark with too many shadows.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2023, 03:36:55 PM »
Loookiiing goooood!!!! :cowboypistol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2023, 05:21:01 PM »
Those look great, Marshal.  Nice work.  We have a few very competent leather workers here.

Question:
Among leather-smiths, is it considered impertinent of a client to request that the maker’s mark be put on the reverse side of a holster?  Does that go against protocol?

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023, 05:41:35 PM »
Those look great, Marshal.  Nice work.  We have some very competent leather workers here.

Question:
Among leather-smiths, is it considered impertinent of a client to request that the maker’s mark be put on the reverse side of a holster?  Does that go against protocol?
Thanks, G Dog.

I think it's up to how you feel on that. For a customer to request you hide your stamp isn't out of line unless it takes away from the overall look. For example, on a Meanea Cheyenne holster, the stamp is on the lower strap and part of the design appeal. I wouldn't make one without the stamp on it but I'd make sure my stamp was totally in keeping with the historical appeal.

There are times I put the stamp on the back by choice so it doesn't take away from the decorative elements. In the case of this M&W, the maker's stamp is part of the design. Even at that, some M&W holsters do have it on the back where it isn't too noticeable.

So, it's up to you on that. I wouldn't necessarily take offence at such a request but I'd also consider if the customer was being reasonable. If he didn't want me to put a stamp on it at all, I'd wonder at his motive and politely recommend he find another leather maker.