Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Another Embossing Wheel  (Read 603 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Another Embossing Wheel
« on: August 09, 2023, 04:55:04 PM »
As you may recall, a while back I repurposed an old embossing(?) wheel to take a new decorative roller.

I had a need for a new embossing wheel so I ordered one, a CS Osborne #10 wheel. I removed the decorative wheel from the classic one and put this one in. It worked OK but I couldn't apply enough pressure without trashing my forefinger. Rather than order a handle and wait for it to arrive, I decided to make one. LOL, I think I've been here before.

I needed a machine screw, a lock nut and brass washer. There's this beer tray on a shelf full of aircraft hardware I go to for this type of thing. It provided the right stuff.

To make the holder I intended to basically copy a CS Osborne #459. I drilled through a 3/8 bolt with the head removed then tapped it to 3/16-32. When I got set up to cut a groove in it, I thought, why go to all that effort when the wheel can work slightly off center so I split the bolt and cut off one side. It cleaned up fine and I rounded up a handle for it (there are a lot of dead tools lying around in my unused leather stuff so I took one of those handles). I tapped the hole in the handle to 3/8-18, same as the bolt thread, and screwed the new tool shaft into the handle with a little gorilla glue to keep it from coming loose.

All the parts from the misc parts beer tray worked fine. The AN3 button head screw had just the right grip length to act as a bearing surface so the wheel wouldn't have to ride on threads.

Assembled, I adjusted the screw then locked it in that position with the nut. I used a close tolerance nut so it wouldn't take up much room. When I tested it, it worked great. The best part? I had it within a short time of thinking up the project. No need to wait on it being shipped.

It's an easy design to work with. I used a button head machine screw so it wouldn't stick up and rub on the project if I tipped the tool at an angle.

Switching wheels is quick. I have another wheel on order and will use this handle for that as well.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Another Embossing Wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 05:30:24 PM »
I read this thread and thought, "I can do that." So I got to work and made one.

But It's is my own thread. Good thing I have another wheel to put on it. I wonder if there's a 12-step program for this. "Hello, my name is Marshal Will and I'm a leather tool maker."

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 07:29:50 AM »
I just hope you keep it up! I'll be at it again once the weather cools.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 08:01:09 AM »
I'll do that. At least when I need something.