Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Walker fouling issues  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Walker fouling issues
« on: February 20, 2023, 07:20:20 AM »
My Uberti Walkers tend to have fouling issues after a couple of cylinders full. My Uberti 2nd Model Dragoons run all day long. Checking barrel/cylinder gap, One Walker is .004 and the other is .005. The Dragoons are .009/.010. The loads are moderate 30 grs. of 3F Swiss/Olde Enysford or up to 40 grs. I have used every conceivable combination of lube concoctions applied to wads and over/under ball application. Also, you name it and it has been applied to the arbors. I don't really like the gap on the Dragoons but it does work. Anyone else experience this?
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Walker fouling issues
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 07:47:41 AM »
All your "gaps" ( endshake) is too big for me.  .0025" - .003" is much better for efficiency and "cleanliness" is a nice byproduct!
How are you measuring your "gaps" and how do you install the wedge?

Mobil1 grease on the arbor has been standard shop practice for almost 10 yrs.

Mike

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 10:43:15 AM »
Mike, I did install the #14 pan head screw as you advise. Gap(endshake as you've mentioned) was measured at half cock with cylinder held to the rear. At full cock the Walkers show no discernible gap. I've used Mobile 1 grease on the arbors but still have to wipe down the cylinder face after a couple of cylinders. Last time out I tried PAM cooking spray on the arbors and that actually worked the best so far. That was only one trial and when the weather breaks I'm going to continue the experiment.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:34:18 AM by Navy Six »
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 12:38:38 PM »
Ok, you know you have to pull the cylinder back against the recoil shield when you measure, right? No matter what position the hammer is in, the endshake is the same.

If you're getting your info from Blackie Thomas,  there's your problem.  He didn't teach Sam Colt how the open-top revolver works.

Mike

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »
Mike, I am aware you have to pull the cylinder back to the recoil shield to measure the gap but wasn't aware it didn't matter what position the hammer is in.
I hope I don't sound like my percussion pistol information is coming from Blackie. He seems like a good guy but my first stop is Kuhnhausen.