Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Bouncer/Pounder/Burnisher  (Read 886 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Bouncer/Pounder/Burnisher
« on: September 15, 2023, 03:48:09 PM »
The other day I got a couple ceramic door knobs in beautiful condition. No scratches or flaws other than one minor bump in the finish on one that I stoned off with a gunsmiths stone then polished. I've been wanting to make a bouncer/pounder/burnisher/etc. for a while. Bouncers are used in saddle making but in my hands this one will be used one for burnishing, like the backs of belts and such.

I scrounged around a bunch of shop drawers and found an unused hollow-bodied plastic file handle. I also found a 7/16" bolt long enough to go through the handle. The head of the bolt was yellow so it probably came from a Caterpillar tractor. In my Harley parts box I found an acorn nut and washer that fit the bolt.

The end of the handle had a shallow taper to it so I flattened that off so the nut & washer would fit flat on the end. I cut the head end off the bolt just long enough to go into the knob, through the handle and have 6 extra threads sticking out. Then I drilled the file handle to 7/16". I ground the "head" end of the bolt square so it would fit in one of the door knobs and drilled and tapped the bolt to 8-32, just like the original square lock shaft the door knob would have been. I rummaged around in my aircraft hardware pan and found the right length flat head machine screw for it.

The hollow handle is just roomy enough to fit over the shaft on a knob.

To assemble it, I put the bolt into the door knob and secured it with the screw. Then I slipped the file handle on and snugged it in place with the acorn nut. Boom! One bouncer.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Bouncer/Pounder/Burnisher
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 09:46:16 PM »
Great job! That's using the ol' noggin!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks, Cap. Although that file handle was my idea, the whole thing wasn't. I only knew abut them being used for burnishing. We never had one in the saddle shop when I was there.

It's an old timey tool. I learned what they were called from a post on another forum by Bruce Johnson. He has some for sale on his website here.

If anyone wanted to make one like mine, here is the only listing I've seen for what looks to be the same handle. These are pink but the orange isn't all that beautiful, either. The one I had was my last one of a handful I bought at the saw shop one day from a box on the counter.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 03:46:59 AM »
Why not use a wood file handle? I can't remember ever seeing a black porcelain doorknob. I've seen a ton of white ones and we had a house when I was little that had brown ones. Mom used to put white ones in the chickens nests to help them lay.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 05:31:21 AM »
I made mine from wood file handles.    I also have a white one around here somewhere.    I use mine for shaping and contouring when wet forming mostly but the brass one is better for burnishing than the porcelain knobs.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 07:03:09 AM »
Those are nice, Mike. I tested mine out for burnishing yesterday and it worked really well. Good to know that the smaller brass one of yours works really well. Thanks for that.

Hawg, I didn't use a wooden handle because I didn't have one. I did have that plastic one, though. It wouldn't have been my first choice but after trying it, I like it because it fits down close to the knob itself.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 08:48:56 PM »
The ingenuity and creativity of you CC members astounds me at times!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 11:41:13 AM »
The thing kept rolling all around the work bench. Most annoying. I don't like to hunt for things I just set down so I sanded four flats on the small end of the file handle. Now it will always be in the last place I put it.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 11:43:13 AM »
LOL....been there! But I'm a lot lazier than you....I just flattened one side......:)
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 02:31:45 PM »
LOL....been there! But I'm a lot lazier than you....I just flattened one side......:)
The worst thing that can happen that way is for it to roll an inch or two until it finds the flat. That works for me. :happy0008:

No amount of work since I used my spindle sander with the belt attachment. Zip, zip, zip, zip. Done.