Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Horn Bugs  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Horn Bugs
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2023, 06:33:57 AM »
That sounds like a good project. Share some photos as you get along with it if you can.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2023, 10:13:43 AM »
I have some horn making supplies....   brass plugs,  valves etc.   Let me know what you have in mind.    Cheap or free depending on what it is.   I also have several polished horns.   I'll never get around to using it all.

Do you have a violin key? I've got a couple somewhere but I haven't unpacked much since we moved out here and I have no idea where they are. What would you take for a couple of polished horns?

That sounds like a good project. Share some photos as you get along with it if you can.

I'll try to but when I'm doing something I forget about taking pics.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2023, 11:28:31 AM »

[/quote]Do you have a violin key? I've got a couple somewhere but I haven't unpacked much since we moved out here and I have no idea where they are. What would you take for a couple of polished horns?
[/quote]

I think I might have one, I'll have to check.    I'll post pics of the horns I have later. 

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2023, 01:46:47 PM »
Here's what I can find right now.   I thought I had another box of wood stuff,  plugs and at least one violin key but it seems to have disappeared.    If you see anything you want here let me know.   There is a brass thumb valve and wood beehive peg.   I used a beehive peg for a horn I built a long time ago.  A small brass plug and a large one, along with several wood end plugs with the plug holes already countersunk.   The plastic box has powder flask valves and measuring spouts.
The left side is raw buffalo horns.  In the middle are polished horns,  the biggest is 14 inches and the small black one at the bottom is six inches.  On the right side is a couple cow horns that have been scraped and sanded but need some work before polishing, they are about 10 and 12 inches each.

The last pic is a horn I made with the beehive plug. 

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 02:18:24 PM »
What do you want for the top two horns, the cream colored one and the black and white one. Enough strapping for one horn and a couple of wood blocks. It looks like a piece of maple and cherry?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2023, 05:47:14 PM »
Check your messages Hawg.
The 2nd block is curly maple ,  the next one to the right is cherry.    First one on the left is walnut,  last two are lacewood and poplar respectively.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2023, 06:21:25 PM »
You have got a deal.

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2023, 03:58:05 AM »
Hey Mike, you have a nice supply of horn building item's  (7&

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2023, 04:56:17 AM »
Hey Mike, you have a nice supply of horn building item's  (7&

Yeah,  I need to get busy and use some of it up.   I bought some stuff and some was given to me.   I made two horns and stopped. 

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2023, 01:01:13 PM »
I recently dug out an old horn that I had in a cabinet in my garage for a dozen years so I could stain it from white to an antique yellow, and found that it had a few bug holes in it too. I filled in the holes with some wood filler and stained it. The holes are still visible. Oh, well. 
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2023, 01:29:22 PM »
I like it.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2023, 05:39:09 PM »
I got my new horn in. The ad said between 13-17 inches straight across. My biggest horn is 14 inches around the curve. I was hoping to get one closer to 17 than 13. The one I got measures 16 1/2 straight across and it dwarfs my old horn. I like it. It's almost too pretty to be cutting and filing on.

The hole in the base is 3 X 3 1/2. It's a little thin on one side but I don't see it as a problem. I thought from the pic it would be straighter but it's a left hand horn. That's ok too since I'm halfway left handed anyway.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2023, 09:22:11 PM »
That's a beautiful horn. It'll make a great powder horn.