Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: horns n stuff  (Read 800 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
horns n stuff
« on: November 13, 2023, 04:45:21 PM »
This is the stuff I got from mike116. Thanks Mike. The middle horn is my biggest powder horn.

I've got a lot to learn about horns. It's hard to tell how big a horn is in a pic. Cows around here don't have horns that big so I tend to think bigger is better. My big powder horn is about how big horns are here. I bought a horn from The Leather Guy and it's only a few inches bigger than my big horn so I figured it was good to go. This thing is massive compared to mine.

The two horns I got from Mike are big. The biggest one is just as big as the other one I bought, it's just shorter. The other one is a good bit smaller. This is it next to my powder horn. It's a more reasonable size.

This is the base of all three horns I just bought. Mike's are the two on the right.

I'm going to use the two biggest ones to practice on and hopefully the smallest one will turn out to be a usable horn.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: horns n stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 06:17:41 PM »
Cut the big end off to the size you want.    A hacksaw is all you need. 

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 08:34:27 PM »
I will do that but the circumference is so much bigger than my horn it's still going to be a big horn. My powder horn in the pic will fit inside the biggest horn I got from you with nothing sticking out except for the finial and it has a brass valve. My smaller horns would disappear in it. I filled the horn I got from The Leather Guy with water and it held 2 1/3 solo cups. I'm talking full to the brim. Now I have to go out to the shed and find my files and rasps. I'll have to buy some sandpaper. I've been saving what money I could for a few months and "I think" I'll be able to order a Kibler kit next month if nothing drastic happens. If I don't I will eventually so it's going to need a horn of it's own. I just hope I can do justice to one of them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 05:50:41 AM »
You'll get it.    The motivation of getting a Kibler kit will help.    Too bad Scooby doesn't hang out here anymore.   He would be the guy to get advice from.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 06:50:28 AM »
My big powder horn and one of my smaller ones.