Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Hollow Base Swaged Revolver Bullet  (Read 11422 times)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: Hollow Base Swaged Revolver Bullet
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
Hi AntiqueSledMan, those look good to me.  )lI

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »
Hi, hollow based bullets have a lot to offer when the bore diameter is larger than the bullet diameter used. I shoot hollow based 0.358" bullets in my .36 1851 (conversion cylinder) where the proper sized bullet is 0.375". The hollow based bullet fills the rifling from the burning powder pressure.

However, there is a issue in shooting hollow based bullets, they work best with mild loadings. The issue is that if there is too high a pressure, the wall of the hollow base can blow out as the bullet exits the muzzle. If you look at .38 Special loadings for the hollow based bullet compared to similar loadings for the same weight bullet, the hollow based bullet always has a lower velocity loading. IMO, if you are shooting hollow base and if your accuracy degenerates on heavier loading, the problem may be the hollow based bullet.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
I think I've got it, lots of lube. I ended up shaving the bottom of the die, now you can adjust the band length. I also cut a hex into the top and used a modified 7/16 nut for the jam. I'm thinking I need to mount a lever to remove the finished bullet, I don't like hitting it with a hammer. The overall length ended up at .400, .325 from top of band to base. Band length is .050 and diameter is .381, and base diameter is .369. They do stick to the base punch, maybe a little taper might help but they do rock off. The 1st picture shows lots of lube, 2nd is when the base punch, nose punch, & ball come into contact (no pressure until now),3rd it is bottomed out, 4th shows bullet sticking on base punch.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:38:05 AM by AntiqueSledMan »

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 04:09:09 AM »
Your diameter sounds right, now go load them up and see how they shoot!

Your using these in a S&B, as a C&B or do you have a conversion cylinder?

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 07:48:27 AM »
Hello StrawHat,

I intended these for Cap & Ball. I think you'd want the base diameter to be .357 for a Cartridge (38 Long Colt). Maybe the band should be .375 also. I'm not sure if you'd be able to crimp the brass into a soft lead bullet. If you would need a crimp groove, that would have to be done in another step, need for another die or maybe a cannelure tool. Did you see how I loaded the 44 Colt Original? http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=8675.0

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 02:23:16 PM »
The .380 should be good for C&B, it is what I use in my 36's.  For use in the 38 Long Colt, it would be determined by the diameter of the bore.  You mentioned the 44 Long Colt, we both have one.  Your revolver uses the original bore and needs the .454 diameter bullet.  My revolver is set up with a modern bore and needs a .430 diameter bullet.  It makes it a bit easier to lube and load.

I wish I still had access to machines, it was a lot of fun making tools I needed for shooting or even making parts for the shooters!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »
I didn't really do my homework. Looking at the big time swaging presses, they all have an ejector system. So now I have one also. I took the column off my Cylinder Press and mounted it to the swaging die. I did have to replace my 5-3/4" lever with a 13" one but it pushes the swaged bullet out of the die. If I ever make it to the range I'll let you guys know how they compare to the round ball. I think they look pretty good, lube seems to be the key. Also a PDF for the 44 cal. One might have to tweak the numbers to certain revolvers, but it should be in the Ball Park. These should be Ideal Conicals for Brass Framed Revolvers.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:42:47 AM by AntiqueSledMan »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 06:38:56 AM »
That looks GREAT! I wish we all lived within walking distance of each other. We would all have a ball!!!