Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1894 Trapper  (Read 7102 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
1894 Trapper
« on: March 17, 2016, 07:47:03 AM »
Hi, here are Winchester Trappers I shoot regularly. The top one is 30-30, next down .45 Colt, and the bottom 1894 is .44 Magnum:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: 1894 Trapper
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 08:55:41 AM »
Sweet little carbines. I admired those when they first came out and entertained the idea of buying one...but ruled instead in favor of my Marlin 336
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:23:39 AM »
Hi Captain, I had a number of Marlin lever action rifles, but gave them all away. I like the ability of easy loading single cartridges at a time through the top, the Winchesters. It's also easier with the Winchester to see the chamber, a safety issue. I kick myself for not buying the .357 Magnum Trapper when I bought the other Trappers. I know that the SASS guys love the Marlin's compared the Winchester because the action of the Marlin is faster. Also, the 1894 is a royal PITA to disassemble for through cleaning, the Marlin easy.

However, I still have two Marlin rifles, a .22 39A that I will give this month to my son-in-law, and a 47-70 guide gun that I love shooting and will keep. My guide gun has the ported barrel that has now been dropped in current production.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:27:11 AM »
Hi, over the many years of owning those Winchester 94s, I have tried to remove those ridiculous cross bolt safeties. Many the time I tried the recommended paper clip method, but it never worked for me. Today I found a video on how to easily remove the cross bolt, see:

That method worked great! I can't tell you the number of times that the cross bolt safety has prevented me from making a shot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a certified NRA rifle instructor, but always tell my students to ignore the gun safety for anything other than hunting. Mechanical devices can always fail. Safe gun handling practice is all that's required for safe gun use.

Browning didn't design the 94 with a cross bolt safety, why in hell did the recent manufacture of the Winchester 94 add the cross bolt safety. They must have had their heads up their ass. Maybe one of the reasons that Winchester went belly up.

There are only three gun safety rules any firearm user needs to learn and understand. Adding a magical mechanical device is a path to disaster IMO.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:33:57 AM by ssb73q »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
Browning didn't design the 94 with a cross bolt safety, why in hell did the recent manufacture of the Winchester 94 add the cross bolt safety.

One word: L*A*W*Y*E*R*S

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:59:29 AM »
That's a nice set of rifles there Richard.   I don't have a '94 model but those little trappers are tempting.   

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »
I like the old top eject Winchesters.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 07:25:30 AM »
I have my dad's '94, it was only used for deer hunting so has not had many rounds through it. I remember when he bought it new about 1949 for under $50.00. It was a lot of money....then!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:46:10 AM »
Hi mazo, what caliber is your 94? My 30-30 94 with scope will do 1.25 moa @100yds. I have to push my target 308 to do better. The .45 Colt 94 will do 1.5 moa, but that damn .44 mag is hopeless for serious accuracy. I don't know why.

I often regret not buying the 94 in .357 Mag. The .357 in a 16" rifle is amazing, the velocity is up there, and may be better than the 30-30.

I had a .357 Marlin lever gun that I gave to my Boy Scout troop for a fund raiser. One of my idiot mothers let that rifle go for $75. That's the last rifle I offered for fund raising. I would have been happier giving that rifle to a homeless person.

Regards,
Richard 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

I had a .357 Marlin lever gun that I gave to my Boy Scout troop for a fund raiser. One of my idiot mothers let that rifle go for $75. That's the last rifle I offered for fund raising. I would have been happier giving that rifle to a homeless person.

Regards,
Richard
My guess is the homeless person would have been happier too...

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 11:07:32 PM »
Ima Homeless Boy Scout ssb, just sayin.   ;)   
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
Richard, my '94 is in 32 Spl. I haven't shot it that much, but is an accurate rifle for hunting. My son in law has one in 357 Mag; I have been trying to get that from him for many years now.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 01:50:25 PM »
Hi mazo, a 94 in 32 Special sounds like one hell of a rifle. I never knew that the 94 was chambered in that caliber. I bet that would make for a great deer gun, cool.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
The 32 Win. Spl. round is not a lot different than the 30-30 in actual performance, just a little bigger bullet.