Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 45-70 Hand Cannon and More??  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
45-70 Hand Cannon and More??
« on: August 01, 2023, 10:38:28 AM »
A friend who frequents gun shows as a seller and buyer. Has a collection of guns that are to plenteous to count, but whose counting? He recently bought these 4 guns for $350. Claims they were movie prop guns but are functional. Maybe someone here will help identify these pistols? Oh, he said one is a replica by CVA.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 45-70 Hand Cannon and More??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 11:06:13 AM »
I don't think any of them were made by CVA and as far as that goes CVA didn't make anything. They imported their stuff. That third one down was made by Classic Arms but the grip has had some extensive modifying done to it. The 45-70 "flintlock" definitely looks like a movie prop. I'd have to shoot that thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 11:23:55 AM »
I don't think any of them were made by CVA and as far as that goes CVA didn't make anything. They imported their stuff. That third one down was made by Classic Arms but the grip has had some extensive modifying done to it. The 45-70 "flintlock" definitely looks like a movie prop. I'd have to shoot that thing.
Hey. Thank you Hawg. Thank you for the information. You are correct, I should have said imported by CVA. Having said that, it sounds like you don't see one in there that would have been imported by CVA?  Roger that. The owner did make one other comment. Regarding the upper right corner gun has that hex bolt looking thing on the barrel. He said he did believe someone modified it? He also said he was going to shoot that 45-70.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 11:49:13 AM »
They've all been modified. I really don't see anything that resembles CVA but modify something enough and it becomes unrecognizable. The second down looks the most like a CVA but the lock plate is entirely wrong.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 03:41:43 AM »
Interesting  (7&

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 03:05:53 PM »
That bottom one looks like a highly modified Springfield rifle. It has fake flintlock parts added to it to look like a flintlock. My guess is that it's made to look like one for a movie, but left as a cartridge gun to make it easier to load, so the armorer for the movie didn't have to fool around with loose ball and powder. Just my thoughts.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 03:38:46 PM »
That bottom one looks like a highly modified Springfield rifle. It has fake flintlock parts added to it to look like a flintlock. My guess is that it's made to look like one for a movie, but left as a cartridge gun to make it easier to load, so the armorer for the movie didn't have to fool around with loose ball and powder. Just my thoughts.

It is. You can see the V shaped splice where they added a different type of wood to make the grip. The lock still has the Springfield eagle on it.