Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Looking back at the problem  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking back at the problem
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2024, 06:42:24 AM »
Do it enough and you'll catch yourself doing it with everything. I've caught myself doing it with my 1911. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2024, 06:49:46 AM »
Do it enough and you'll catch yourself doing it with everything. I've caught myself doing it with my 1911. (7+"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's a funny Hawg

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2024, 07:49:22 AM »
   hot rod guns / hot rod cars .  .  .  always was . . . always will be  !!  (7+"
Mike just so you understand I appreciate those type of guns and cars. For years my daily driver was a 1967 Shelby GT 500 that I installed a Nascar 427 Tunnel Port. I still own another 1967 GT350 with the small block 289. Guess I'm getting a little older.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 12:20:45 PM »
I had to satisfy my curiosity about the mainspring strength, which started this thread, on my Colt repro percussion pistols in regard to cap problems. Last night I installed an Uberti mainspring that I previously removed from an Uberti Cattleman about 25 years ago. At that time Uberti was installing a much heavier mainspring and I installed it in one of my Uberti 51 Navy squarebacks. This gun had benefitted from Arbor length correction,  polished internals and hammer face and Slix-Shot nipples. Even using Remington #10 caps this gun still would give the occasional cap issue. So this morning I tested the same gun with a variety of projectiles from round ball and three different heel bullets ranging from 100 to 135 gr. weight. Charge was 18 gr Swiss 3F and Rem. #10 caps. I went from slow, one shot at a time(checking for expended cap fragments) to working the hammer as fast as I cared to for six shots. After 50 rounds there were no cap jamming issues. The new mainspring, while heavier, was not objectionable and could readily be cocked with one hand. Plus the hammer fall was quicker and seemed to "pin" the exploded cap to its nipple.
So I guess more testing is in order, but it was nice to enjoy a morning's shooting with this gun.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2024, 09:57:47 AM »
Mike just so you understand I appreciate those type of guns and cars. For years my daily driver was a 1967 Shelby GT 500 that I installed a Nascar 427 Tunnel Port. I still own another 1967 GT350 with the small block 289. Guess I'm getting a little older.

A friend of mine had a Pantera with an AC Cobra 427 (SOHC?) in it. Mill was tuned to 500 NA; the nitrous shot pushed it to a dyno-proven 750 at the tire. (Jeff never filled the bottles.) A Pantera tuner outside or near Denver was contracted to build a "200 mph all day long Pantera". The 427 would keep it there; it took the gas to get it there; the local Cobra club let Jeff run with them because of the 427 Pedigree. My only tie to the car was a concourse detail on it, which earned me the soft top for my 4-door Bronco.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2024, 11:08:45 AM »

I totally understand.  I'm just coming from a customer position that has always wanted an easier hammer draw which is more conducive for faster times/handling , especially if the thumbs are a little arthritic.  Likewise,  the vast majority of "casual shooters" like the "race ready" revolvers for the "ease of operation" it offers. That means other ways to combat cap problems which introduces cap posts,  action shields .  .  .  which are passive as far as shooter operation. So, 95 +% of my customers want that as opposed to heavy hammers, hoping frags won't/can't  get into the action anyway  blah blah  .  .  .

As for cars .  .  . I grew up tuning cars at my across the street neighbor's garage.  Engine swaps, carb rebuilds,  brakes,  .  .  .   pretty much anything a customer needed we pretty much did. The range of cars was anything GM, the occasional Dodge / Chrysler  ( if it was a neighbor  !! Lol) but, he wouldn't touch a Ford !! So, my automotive upbringing is why I am lacking in the Ford dept.  I remember seeing Cobras  ( real ones!)  around town,  the first 'Stangs and 'Cudas .  .  .  (always loved the Cougars hidden headlights!!)
  My cars ranged from a '64VW Bug, '76 Vega that ended up with a 3.8 Buick 6, a 280 Z ( 2+2 "family" car) with a 350 Olds, several trucks, back to cars with several BMW's with one of which I still run around in, an '88 535  that'll  still  sh *t an get ( it's  not all "factory" stuff) !! Definitely still fun for an old guy !!! (7+"

Mike
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 11:17:52 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 12:57:17 PM »
A little off topic, but since we started...the reason I went with the 427 was when Ford further developed that motor to run at LeMans, they ran one at 7,000 rpm FOR 24 HOURS STRAIGHT. At that point they knew they could beat Ferrari and did for several years straight.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2024, 01:46:10 PM »
A little off topic, but since we started...the reason I went with the 427 was when Ford further developed that motor to run at LeMans, they ran one at 7,000 rpm FOR 24 HOURS STRAIGHT. At that point they knew they could beat Ferrari and did for several years straight.

Yes!! What really gets me is Ford came out with a new "Flat crank" V8 for the Mustang  and they were true beasts!!   Only to drop that engine after 3 maybe 4 yrs and put a freekin turbo V6 in the F40!!!!   What he hell?!!!!
  There's a track (road course) near me that folks go run their Porches, Lambos, Ferrari's at ( storage facility as well). When that flat crank stang goes out , they all get out of his way !!! I'd love to have one !!!

Mike

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2024, 05:10:15 PM »
526 HP yeah it was a real Hoss.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2024, 08:20:57 AM »

There's a track (road course) near me that folks go run their Porches, Lambos, Ferrari's at ( storage facility as well). When that flat crank stang goes out , they all get out of his way !!! I'd love to have one !!!

Mike
[/quote]

Mike, is that track near Hampton? Wasn't that the old Ford Plant by the airport?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2024, 07:14:31 AM »
No, it's closer to Dawsonville. My son's father-in-law is a member there.