Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: my collection of flasks  (Read 75 times)

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
my collection of flasks
« on: May 14, 2024, 06:38:59 AM »
Len kindly suggested I should show some of my powder flasks. I felt I had to oblige, so here they are.
Just a few words before we start. Alle these flasks were made in the 19th century, in France or England. Some were in good shape when I bought them. Some had to be worked upon to deserve displaying, but nothing more than closing a gap in the seam, putting on a new spring, or drowning the spout in lubricant.

This is my first one. I bought it back in 2013. It bears a maker's mark in the shape of a bee.

This stands for L'abeille, a french maker who made powder flasks between 1832 and 1899.

Then came that one :

It does not bear any identification mark anywhere. The adjustable spout is graduated from 65 to 80.

Next was this one :

Once again a french flask. This one is signed "B A PARIS" (Boche à Paris"). Adjustable spout graduated from 50 to 65.

That one followed soon after :

An english one, this time, attested by the maker's mark on the collar : "James Dixon and son Sheffield".
Once again, an adjustable spout, with graduations ranging from 2 1/4 to 3 drams.

I have no information whatsoever about that next one :

Once more, an adjustable spout, ranging from 65 to 80.

No information about that one either :

All I can say is it is made of a zinc alloy, and has a three position spout ranging from 25 to 35.

The next one has quite a different look :

It is also an english one, bearing the Dixon & Sons mark.

Its 3 position adjustable spout does not bear any indication of volume or unit.

This one is also made of a zinc alloy, and bears a depiction I rather like of a drinking man trying to get his wine directly from the grapes.

No maker's mark, and an adjustable spout, from 50 to 65.

Another french one, "système Boche" :

The adjustable spout is a special kind, patented in Paris by Mr Boche :

It bears a see-through window on both sides, allowing to check the amount of powder inside.

Yet another english one :

It bears a Dixon & Son mark, which makes it easier to date : between 1824 and 1835. Before 1824 James Dixon was running his business on his own, and after 1835, his second son joined father and elder brother.

The adjustable spout is a different kind. I never saw that kind before, and it is still the only one I know of :

And here is the last one :

No maker's mark, and a 4 position adjustable spout which won't adjust, and only bears a number 4 on the top position.

Thanks for your attention.
If anyone would be able to tell me what are the units used on the spouts, I would be very grateful.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: my collection of flasks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 07:51:49 AM »
Excellent collection of Flasks Ringo.    I have a few myself.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 08:31:28 AM »
Ringo, I love that collection! Thanks for sharing! Especially like the adjustable spout features on most of them. None of mine have that.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 08:32:05 AM »
Excellent collection of Flasks Ringo.    I have a few myself.
Let's see 'em, Mike!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 09:40:44 AM »
Thanks Ringo!
What a collection! I am impressed. And the adjustable spouts are just sooo smart.
You mentioned "drams", which in my world is all about Scotch single malt whisky.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 10:18:12 AM »
Wow Ringo! You've got quite the collection there! Very nice indeed.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 11:18:22 AM »
Those are nice. I don't have any original or repros. Len, a dram is about 27.5 grains. You still see dram equivalent on boxes of shotgun shells.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 01:06:38 PM »
Those are nice. I don't have any original or repros. Len, a dram is about 27.5 grains. You still see dram equivalent on boxes of shotgun shells.
Thanks Hawg,
I suppose you're giving US measure. The British is a wee bit lower. I'm sticking out my neck here, but I think that for Ringo's spouts, some are in drams (the English?), some in grammes (the French?) and maybe some in grains. Probably the spouts graded 65 to 80 are grains, the spouts graded 8 to 9 to 10 are grammes.
Beautifully complicated.

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 01:42:00 PM »
Thanks for your interest and kind words, gentlemen. :)
(...) You mentioned "drams", which in my world is all about Scotch single malt whisky.
I don't mind having a wee dram sometimes myself, usually rather Drambuie than whisky though...  :toast:

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 02:13:31 PM »
I suppose you're giving US measure. The British is a wee bit lower. I'm sticking out my neck here, but I think that for Ringo's spouts, some are in drams (the English?), some in grammes (the French?) and maybe some in grains. Probably the spouts graded 65 to 80 are grains, the spouts graded 8 to 9 to 10 are grammes.
Beautifully complicated.

Yes U.S. measure altho I believe the English used grains in the 19th century.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.