Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: I finally shot my Uberti 1860.  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
I finally shot my Uberti 1860.
« on: December 02, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »
Well, I finally shot my new Uberti 1860 that I got just before Halloween. I was over at my sister and brother in laws, her kids and family this past Saturday, 11/30/2013, and I took my 1860 with me. After we chowed down on a feast of vittles, my brother in law, nephew, and I went out and shot the new gun. ((For those of you who know, the Uberti '58 Remington I had delivered on Halloween day of 2012, I still ain't shot yet.))
It shot pretty good, but those darned caps keep gettin' stuck and I can't cycle the cylinder. In other words, I couldn't cock the gun. Now I see why I like Remingtons.

But here's a picture of the target. All shots but one hit the paper, and my shot came the closest to the center bull.  I only loaded and shot twice, so there are 11 hits on the target.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: I finally shot my Uberti 1860.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
Pustic, caps can be problematic on the horsey-guns. Some attack the problem by filling and blending the notch and groove in the hammer; others (like me) by raising the muzzle and dropping the right side down while cocking. Careful attention to cap selection is important; I experience far fewer frag-jams with Remington #10 caps than either CCI or others.
Just remember; what you're experiencing is probably very similar to what the typical Civil War soldier experienced.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »
Hey Capt., I started out using Remington #10 caps, and they didn't seem to want to fit, so I used the CCI 11's. The next time I shoot it, I'll try using Winchester caps and see how they work. I know that people back then faced the same problems, and now I can see why some of them would trade a couple of Colts for one Remington.  ;) I'm not going to give up on it,  and I'll try using your method of cocking, cause I don't want to do any filling on my gun, at least not yet.  :)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
My Colts still swallow a cap on occasion; sometimes to the point where I have to put it away. No problem; I bring a few guns with every time just in case. (at least one Remmy....shhh!)
The "muzzle-high-right-cock" method works pretty well most of the time. Last time out I put over 50 rounds through my Navy without a single frag jam.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »
Capt., What size caps do you use on your 1860? I tried #10's, but it seemed like they wouldn't fit, so I used #11's.  ???

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »
I use Remmy #10s on everything but the Plains Pistol. Some of the guns they are a tight fit but I seat 'em with a wooden dowel. They go on eventually.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »
Seating a cap with a dowel sort of scares me. I don't want it to go BOOM trying to seat a cap. I would rather go oversized and pinch the cap to get it to stay on the nipple. I do have some Remington #10 caps, so the next time I shoot it, I'll give them a try.  :)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Wood is soft. Like a finger. Safer than "seating with the hammer", IMHO. Way safer. Had my Plains Pistol speak right up once using a hammer seat...scared the crap outta me.
"Pinching" caps is scary to me. First of all, this means they are too loose, and on a Colt, this is ASKING for a cap frag. Cap goes off, blows back the hammer and the slot in the hammer takes the cap along with it. Cap is deposited wherever the hammer damn well pleases...'nuff said about that!
But the hammer blowing back and no cap to block the flame creates another problem. Now if one of the other pinched (read; LOOSE) caps gets knocked off (remember, they are loose, not tight 'cuz you pinched them) you now have an open hole for the flame you created with the first cap's exit to go hide in. Result; CHAINFIRE.
It's safer to use the dowel. Just keep the muzzle downrange and be alert.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
I will give the dowel a try.  :)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
Good Karma comin' your way for the positive attitude, Pustic! ;)

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
Thanks Capt. And good karma your way because good karma came my way.  ).L

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »
Thanks! &m(

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »
Any time.  :)