Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Featuring a Cast of Thousands!  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Featuring a Cast of Thousands!
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
Well, OK. Not really thousands.
But hundreds, anyway!
The planets aligned today, and for the first time in The Year Of Our Lord 2012 I was able to drag the casting gear outside and set up shop! I set up a picnic bench under the pines in the back yard, nicely shaded and smelling of, well, pine, and with the sun high in the sky and gentle breezes cooling me and carrying off the fumes at the same time, got busy.
My little Lee Melter had two pounds of lead shimmering in the sunlight in about 3 minutes and after fluxing with a bit of candle wax I keep handy for just such purposes and skimming the dross, the lead was ready to roll.
I lit a second candle that I keep for such purposes as well, and quickly "smoked" the mould cavities for quick, clean release, and began pouring, The lead dried as fast as I poured, and the hunk of scrap deck rail I keep quickly cut the sprues, allowing the freshly-cast balls to drop free onto the folded towel I had laid out.
I ran maybe 250-300 .375 round balls through my Lee mould; setting aside a hundred for my buddy Steve as a late birthday gift (he doesn't know it yet) as he is getting prepared to make his "maiden voyage" on the Good Ship BP Revolver this spring. (Now, I ask you....what guy buys 15 revolvers in less than a year and has never fired one yet? That would be Steve.. Well, we're gonna fix THAT!)
The Lee mould heated up quickly, but the quality of the finished product was less than perfect. But I'm a lead slinger and a gong-ringer, so unless they're REALLY bad they don't go back in the pot. What was it the late, great Marc Bolan of T-Rex fame said? "Get it on...bang a gong!" Well put, Marc!
After burning a large number of .375's, I turned my attention to the .454's. Now, my .454 mould is a Lyman, therefore steel, and of course it takes a while for that bad boy to heat up. But once it did (the first 10 or so went straight back into the pot!) the round balls coming out of that mould were clearly superior. Plus, if you gotta refill the pot, the mould retained enough heat that you don't have to warm it up again!
I ran a couple hun of those, and by that time my back was killing me and I decided 3 hours was enough lead-snorting for one day. There will be more. I still would like to flow another couple hundred .454 balls, and a hundred or better of the .490 rb's for my Trade rifle, plus I could do a goodly number of Lee conical 200 grainer's. So, more casting is in order, yessiree! But progress was made and I feel good about it.
The next best thing to a day of shooting is a day of getting ready to go shooting!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Featuring a Cast of Thousands!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
Well, if you're gonna get the pot heated up, might just as well keep those little balls popping out of the mold(s).  I usually do 3 or 4 different molds too, makes sense to keep ahead of the demand!

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
 I'm still shooting cast bullets that were cast in the late 80's. I still cast for my 45-70 and some others.
As for heating molds I bought a cheap hot plate and while the lead is melting I heat the molds on the hot plate. I find the molds cast better sooner when hot.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:35:50 PM by Tom-ADC »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:22:58 PM »
Yes, Tom........I've heard the hot plate trick, and plan to try it. Lee moulds cool off so quickly that even adding a bit of lead to the pot and fluxing can be too much time. One trick I've tried that helps is that before you do the above, pour your last dipper of lead into the moulds and leave them in the moulds while you add & flux. The lead balls will help the aluminum retain the heat for almost five minutes.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"