Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: pan polishing  (Read 771 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
pan polishing
« on: March 29, 2024, 03:08:27 PM »
As y'all well know I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to flintlocks. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos. Mostly trying to find out the do's and don'ts. I keep coming across people talking about polishing the pan. Some say it speeds up ignition. Others say it doesn't but it does make cleaning the pan easier. I figured what the hey, if it makes cleaning easier I'm all for it. I was somewhat worried the slick surface would make powder slide around and since I use very little powder in the pan it might be a bad idea but I did it anyway. I twisted the gun this way and that and the powder didn't migrate much. It just leveled out. In a hunting situation it might migrate further but I'm not up to that anymore. I must say it improved ignition speed. It's not as fast as a cap lock but it's close, dang close. I am well pleased with it. I'll clean it in a day or three and see how easy it is to clean. From what I've read just one swipe and it's clean. We shall see.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
Re: pan polishing
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 10:12:48 PM »
One swipe with a dry rag removes all the fouling from the pan.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 05:36:43 AM »
Me not knowing much about flintlocks I find this very interesting. In fact, all your threads about flintlocks have made me very interested is trying one out. What type of metal is the pan made of?

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 08:11:36 AM »
I might try polishing the pans on my flintlocks after reading what Hawg did. Flintlocks are a lot of fun Zulch, easy to load and you don't have to worry about finding caps to shoot them.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 08:19:36 AM »
The pan is cast steel Z. I have no idea how polishing it makes it fire faster but it does. It definitely makes cleaning it easier so it's worth doing just for that.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 09:02:30 AM »
Might try that with my Great Plains. If I ever shoot it, that is.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 09:19:12 AM »

Whacha waitin on?

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 10:05:57 AM »

I'd like to see a photo of that gun Capt'n.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 10:20:53 AM »
Thanks Hawg, You gotta shoot that Capt'n!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 10:26:25 AM »
Four years and you haven't let it breath fire and smoke. Whassa matter wif ya? (7+"

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 12:36:55 PM »
Four years and you haven't let it breath fire and smoke. Whassa matter wif ya? (7+"

I had my .50 for eight years and my .54 for two and sold them both before they made smoke. It happens; life will get ya every time.

(they weren't flints, but...)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 04:51:54 PM »
Thanks Bishop Creek. I admit it is sounding like a fun idea.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 05:20:34 PM »

I had my .50 for eight years and my .54 for two and sold them both before they made smoke. It happens; life will get ya every time.

(they weren't flints, but...)

I've got guns I haven't fired for 20 years or more but I did fire them a lot when I was younger. I've got a CVA St Louis Hawken I've only fired once and that was just to unload it. I've had it for about 15 years. I don't have any guns I haven't fired at all.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 06:28:02 PM »

This year, waiting on the black powder rifle range to open up (usually around May 1st), It's on the agenda.
Thanks for linking my pic, Hawg! Woulda taken me half an hour to find it! (7+"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"