Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Flintlock range report  (Read 420 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Flintlock range report
« on: June 28, 2024, 07:47:39 PM »
I took the the new to me Flintlock that I have been working on for a test fire today.    I was pretty apprehensive as there are many reports of poor performance from these Traditions rifles.    I tested the ignition of the pan first and it seemed to light off perfectly,   so far so good.   Then I loaded up 75 grains of 2F Goex.  A lubed patch (.010) and a .490 round ball.    When I aimed down range and held steady and pulled the trigger it went bang as soon as the flint hit the frizzen.  Zero delay,  no fuse fire at all.   The one thing I was sure would happen was a delayed fire of the main charge but it didn't happen.    I fired 4 more rounds with near perfect performance from the rifle.   The fifth round ball  was a little hard to load so decided to run a patch down the barrel before loading again.  Still loading 75 grains I proceeded to fire a sixth time.   This time just the pan charge went off.  I figured the flash hole was plugged so I cleaned it out and tried again.   No luck,  I cleaned with a nipple pick a couple more times and never did get it to fire.  Determined to keep going I pulled out my ball puller and attempted to remove the ball.   I got the ball pulled about a third of the way out and the screw broke off of the ball puller.   I had to go home and get another puller to remove the ball.   When I cleaned the barrel there was a small amount of sludge like material at the back of the breech and clogging the flash hole.   Don't know what it was from but I'm sure I shoved it all into the hole when I swabbed the barrel.  As far as I know the barrel was clean when I started. 

We'll see what happens next time.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Flintlock range report
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 09:05:36 PM »
Wow, great news that you got the chance to make smoke, despite the several "klatches"...and great to hear that you had no hangfires. Sounds like a bit more tweaking and you'll have her fine tuned and driving tacks!
Also looks like you did a fantastic job refinishing it as well.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 03:37:27 AM »
Hello Mike,

Does the rifle have a stainless vent?

My Pedersoli had a vent, which I removed to install a drum & nipple.
If so, you might want to remove the vent for cleaning.

I do know the CVA's had a patented breach system on their cap locks,
not sure what they used on their flinter's but I do think they were the same manufacture.

All of my CVA's (percussion) were fine shooters, but they did require some tinkering.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 03:54:22 AM »
Thanks for the range report.
Did you remove the back plugg when you tinkered and prepared (to get a good look at the bore)?
Is that a Mazo kid primer tool?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 04:45:44 AM »
Great post and photos as well Mike. Sound like you had some fun.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 06:56:34 AM »
Hello Mike,

Does the rifle have a stainless vent?

My Pedersoli had a vent, which I removed to install a drum & nipple.
If so, you might want to remove the vent for cleaning.

I do know the CVA's had a patented breach system on their cap locks,
not sure what they used on their flinter's but I do think they were the same manufacture.

All of my CVA's (percussion) were fine shooters, but they did require some tinkering.

AntiqueSledMan.

Yes, it has a stainless vent and I did remove it for the initial cleaning and when I browned the barrel.   I believe the patent breech variation that Ardessa uses is the reason that the flame hole plugged up when I swabbed the barrel.
I'll try a brush instead of a patch next time and maybe some Old Ensford 2F instead of Goex.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 07:05:16 AM »
Thanks for the range report.
Did you remove the back plugg when you tinkered and prepared (to get a good look at the bore)?
Is that a Mazo kid primer tool?

I didn't remove the breech plug.  Traditions says not to but I tried and it was clearly going to be difficult so I left it alone.   I did go out and buy a bore light that gives a much better view of the bore than I had before.   
The pan primer is one that I made but I do have one that I got from Mazo Kid and I do keep it in my shooting bag.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 12:19:19 PM »
Great report! Glad it all worked out.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick